Fixing oil leaks. Aluminum, Steel, or stock Pans?

Z06Electron

Tranny and engine are both leaking oil pretty bad. I can get an aluminum oil pan for the tranny with thicker flanges for $50 shipped which is about the same as the chrome steel pan. Looks like the stock pan is on there now, but since it is leaking I'm worried to re-use the same pan. Oil pan is leaking pretty bad also, and since I'm going to have to jack up the engine for that I want to make sure I do it right. Do they make a better one piece gasket for the oil pan? This 4 piece system just seems like it is asking for a leak. Thanks for the help!

FPP-1884R

Oil Pan Gasket, 1-Piece, Rubber/Steel Core, Chevy 1966-90, Big Block, Each

$37.95

$37.95

SUM-433884

Transmission Pan, Stock, Aluminum, Polished, Finned, GM, TH400, Each

$59.95

$59.95

SUM-G3883

Flywheel Dust Cover, Steel, Chrome, Chevy, TH350, TH400, Each

$27.95

$27.95

Part Subtotal

$125.85

This is the plan...sound like the way to go?

I have the Felpro one piece oil pan gaskets on a couple engines and have had no issues / leaks. I am very happy with these gaskets. In my experience with these, I do feel that there is a technique to putting them on. First, no rtv is to be used at all. Second, because the valley portion of these gaskets are thicker than the valley inserts in a 4 piece system, it is best to draw the pan to the block by tightening the 4 corner bolts evenly. Then insert and tighten the side rail bolts. After that, since the bolt holes have metal inserts, I forget what I torque them too but it is alot more than what is called for with the 4 piece setups. I have used these gaskets with 7 qt kick out pans from Moroso and Summit with no issues.

All my trans pans are thick cast aluminum and I like the paper/fiber type gasket. I coat them up with this red spray style gasket adhesive and have had no leak issues for years. Hope this helps - Dave

Most of the time leaking pans and valve covers are caused by over-tightening. You can put new gaskets under them, but you have to "massage" the pan rails with a hammer on a flat surface first. If you have the part in your hand, you can invert it and place it on the edge of a bench so you can hammer the bolt holes back out where they belong to get the rails flat. After that, with a new gasket and coservative bolt tightening it should be leak-free. I use "Gasgacinch" linky with good results to hold gaskets to the tin...but no sealer against the engine side.

It's true that if you buy a CAST aluminum pan, it will be stiffer and less prone to leaks due to warping or over-tightening...but if it is stamped aluminum it's going to be worse.

I use the stock pans with a good Fel-Pro cork/rubber gasket set and have had no issues.

Thanks for the info, the summit pan says it is cast. The guy I bought it from said he had just had the tranny and engine oil serviced. The tranny pan has no drain plug so maybe the shop did a poor job of installing the old pan, I'm just hoping the tranny hasn't had a long time leak and been on the brink of a failure. I guess time will tell, I was going to rebuild/replace it anyway, but it was not an immediate plan, and I wanted to be able to drive while I restore. Hopefully this stuff fixes the leaks. Looks like the valve covers have been leaking also, but I had already ordered a replacement gasket set for those.

This car has more caked on oil than paint lol

Are you 100% sure the pans are leaking? Check everything above them real carefully first- it all runs down, so it is easy to suspect the pan. Keep an eye on the fluids- the puddle under the car is your best indicator!

And I wouldn't spend a dime buying the "dust cover" or inspection cover. Completely worthless- especially a chrome one that is going to look like poop in about 5 miles.

one thing to be aware of.. do _NOT_ use felpro gaskets with moroso oil pans.. i had a one piece gasket with my stock pan and it was fantastic.. I'm using a one piece with my moroso 8qt pan and it leaks. I e-mailed moroso and they said to use only the 4-piece type gaskets...

Just my theory here, but I don't consider something that protects my torque converter from flying debris that can leave me stranded, worthless. I don't care what it looks like, but over the years I have learned some hard lessons about what can happen to unprotected pieces under a car. That is why the factory put one there in the first place. If I could find a stock one for less than the price of the chrome I would get that but I haven't been able to.

I'm pretty sure the tranny pan is leaking as I ran my finger along the front edge and fresh pink fluid was all over my finger. The tranny cooler lines are also leaking really bad, but so is the pan. The pan is the culprit on my nice clean fresh puddle of pink tranny fluid. The engine pan can be the only thing leaking other than the valve covers. The valve covers only show oil on the intake side which leads me to believe it's the oil pan. There is oil all around the whole pan, which fingers crossed I'm hoping means I don't have a main crank oil leak, which I'd have to live with until the repower. If it was a head or valve cover I don't think I'd be seeing as much oil all around as I am, unless both sides were out, which seems unlikely, however not impossible I suppose.

I am stuck on the B&M super cooler pand with the deep sump. The flanges are easily 3/8 inch and take a speed bumpo like no other. As long as you stay away from chrome you should do well. It seems the gasket cant get a grip on the chromed lips, always causing leaks.

Andy

one thing to be aware of.. do _NOT_ use felpro gaskets with moroso oil pans.. i had a one piece gasket with my stock pan and it was fantastic.. I'm using a one piece with my moroso 8qt pan and it leaks. I e-mailed moroso and they said to use only the 4-piece type gaskets...

Tim, I busted your chops about this once before. That is bull. I have a Moroso pan and a felpro one piece and after two years still no leak. Your Moroso contact must have been some kid reading from a tech sheet. - Dave

I had a set of Moroso valve covers years ago, and didn't like them. In their effort to reduce the weight, they made them from aluminum that was scarcely thicker than Reynolds-wrap. There was no way they were stiff enough to keep tension on the gasket between the bolts even with giant load-speaders. Nothing but shiney oil leaks.

Whatever pans you decide on, make sure the pan rails where the bolts go through are rigid. I have also heard of sealing issues with chrome plated pieces.

Flying debris taking out a torque converter? Are you sure you didn't hit a land mine? smile Seriously though, I have put thousands and thousands of miles on various cars over the years without that cover and never had an issue. I'll take the benefit of letting the heat out of the converter over any protection it might offer.

(Curious how many folks actually keep that cover on?)

And I just went through the same thing with my trans. You can try a new pan and gasket, but don't be surprised to find the front pump seal or converter seal leaking.

Anyway, good luck with it all- leaks suck!

i would say the biggest benifit to the cover is keeping dirt out of the seal area

over time the build up will cause the seal to fail

i agree that you can operate your car without it

to each his own