700r4 swap with console shift

Guest decathlete45

Guest decathlete45

I've been tossing around the idea of swapping out my B&M 350 with a 700r4/200r4 for some time but haven't done anything yet because it just pulls great and shifts so nice now that I didn't want to mess with it. But I just can't take the 3000rpm trips, and definitely don't want to put the engine through it anymore either. I ran across a great deal on an 87 700r4 from a corvette recently and decided it's time to $hit or get off the pot. Anyway, I have most of the details figured out (driveshaft length, crossmember, TV cable, lockup switch, etc.) but haven't found anything regarding the console shifter plate and the different shift pattern caused by the extra shifter position. For anyone who has done this, is this a probem or not? And if so, what was the fix? Thanks in advance. Oh yeah, I'm running a 3:43 Eaton Posi unit with a slightly warmed over small block. Rear tires are 20" Panthers with 26.1" tall tires (I know, the 20's sure don't help 1/4 time, but i love the look and it's powerful enough to still turn both tires with zero trouble).

Hello and Welcome . Yes there is a conversion for the shift plate and detent plate . Look at trhis web site : www.midstateclassic.com . once there click catolouges then click chevelle then scroll down to transmission / console . It's called Conversion Kit for Overdrive . Glenn is a good person to deal with . I have bought several parts from him with no problems .

You will have a problem with the "back drive linkage " to your steering column . If you find a cross shaft from an 80s GM G body with overdrive that cross shaft should solve the problem . Of course some folks just drop the cros shaft out .

I think you will like the 700 swap . I still have the stock 2.73:1 axle and my RPM is about 1700 .Yes I need lower gears to get my RPM up around 2200 . But I am still happy with the tranny . I used a Painless Wiring kit for the lockup converter . I added a toggle in series so I can eliminate the lock up if I want to .

you won't hurt that engine doing 3000 rpm.

my 700r4 has been having issues all last summer.. the kick down valve is jammed near the WOT position, so I can't use overdrive.. I drove 150 round trip day after day in 3rd gear @ 3300 rpm @ 70mph with my car. it vibrates a bit up there because I cheaped out and didn't get it balanced (big mistake on my part)

then again I've made a few trips down the local freway pulling 5700 rpm in 3rd gear for several miles *cough* *Cough*

As Sam said there is a kit on the market. As for the cross member the stock one works fine its just a matter of moving it forward or back. 1969-70 Chevelle TH700-R4, TH200-4R, 4L60 #SC2242. . . $89.25 shifter SC2242lg.jpg

I used this same kit and it was very easy to install. When you get it all installed you may need to get a carb. adaptor (depending on what carburator you are using) to hook up to your TV linkage. If you do not get your TV cable adjusted correctly you will ruin your new transmission.

• 9 months later...
Guest decathlete45

Sorry I never updated everyone after their great info regarding the 700r4 swap. It's been 9 months and I finally decided to pull the trigger on the swap. Got the car back this morning and for the most part, I really like it. I'll need to drive it for a couple weeks to figure out where I want my shift points and how hard I want them to be, but there is adjustability with the new trans and the guys who put it in said they'd be happy make any necessary changes (I think mostly because it allows them to get behind the wheels and "test drive" it). I still have to order the shift plate, but thanks again for all the info and direction.

• 2 weeks later...

I just put the Shiftworks detent in yesterday. I went with a 700R4 so I used there upgrade kit that converts the stock 3 speed shifter to a 4 speed(PN SC2242). It came with the detent, new trans cable bracket, new shifter bracket, all hardwear needed and the lens that has 1 2 3 D instead of 1 2 D. The new detent allows you to shift without having to worry about going into neutral. There is a stop between each gear. The only problem I had was the cable that was in the car was not long enough. I got one from Shiftworks that was fully adjustable at both ends. It seems to work really good. I have not yet tried it on the streey yet (to much snow & salt on the roads still)The kit also came with great instructions that made it easy.

Michael that is good news, that is the kit I plan to get when I get my 700R4 that is on the garage floor rebuilt and installed.