Axles

Chevyss

OK!! I'm replacing the axles in the Monte. How to I find out just what I have and what would be the best axles to order. Do they come w/studs or w/o?? I'm guessing that it's a 8.875 axle and 30 splines. But you know how things go when you start guessing.

I have the eliminators on the axles in the car now. Don't suppose they can be used again. Or are the axles the same size?? Probably not!!!!!!

Thanks Mike.

I went with weld on bearing housings and eliminated the need of anything holding the axles in place at the carrier. It's like you have a hybrid. Part Ford 9" and part GM 12-bolt. Super strong with lot's of confidence.

i've always been told that C-Clip Eliminators on a street car are a big no-no. It was said that you go around a corner under power and you watch your axle and wheel go flying out.

??????

I went with weld on bearing housings and eliminated the need of anything holding the axles in place at the carrier. It's like you have a hybrid. Part Ford 9" and part GM 12-bolt. Super strong with lot's of confidence.

I have never heard them coming loose from the car but that on a hard turn as mentioned that's when they would most likely leak.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had been running the Strange Drag kit from 1990 until about 3 years ago when I switched over to their new style street strip kit. If your thinking about doing this be forewarned you need to cut the housing end tubes down.

http://www.strangeengineering.net/newprod/StrangeA1033.html

Photo circa 1991

monterace-2.jpg

x3 Like that launch. Finally got the Moser axles and c-clip eliminators installed. (I know no pictures it didn't happen) guess I'll post the bill. Hope they will hold. Next is driveshaft. Denny's

Thanks, I loved surprising all those 5.0 Mustang guys back in the day. They were like [you said a naughty!] that bigass boat just blew my doors off.