Rear Bumper

Attended the Portland Oregon Swap Meet this past weekend and picked up a replated Rear Bumber to replace my much needed rechroming rear bumper.

I had priced mine out for a triple chrome plated one and came to aounmd $650.00 just for the rear. It cost me $300.00 for the replacement as I kept my original for a core.

While I am pretty certain the one I bought is not of the highest quality, from examination it is visually nice and straight. To hopefully keep it in this condition for a prolonged period of time I will POR 15 the inside to help maintain it.

Has anyone dealt with THE BUMPER SHOP / COAST TO COAST BUMPERS LLC?

Just curious of any bad publicity or otherwise input anyone may have.

Just got it this past weekend so haven't installed it as yet. Fitment will be the next issue!

Doug

I haven't dealt with them and have not heard of them. I know Bumper Boyz deals at many swap meets and they are not the best to purchase a bumper from. Good Luck with the new bumper, did it come with any kind of a warranty, if so, make sure you hang on to the receipt.

Rob

If the bumper s done right you dont need to do anything to the inside as it will have a coat of chrome on the inside just nope shiney. The may thing is the warenty on how long the chrome will last. A few have used Tri-City plating our of Tenn which does good work.

Visual inspection was a good representation for the appearance. Backside was sandblasted for the rust prior to plating and then backside primer coated. I checked all the edges to ensure plating had at the minimum wrapped around to backside. No rework had been performed on this bumper which was a big plus also.

Granted, I did take a chance considering I don't have any previous experience with them and their location but based on my inspection determined it to at least meet my minimum expectation.

I do have my receipt stored for future reference if needed. A warranty was given verbally but no set timeframe specified in writing. Six months seemed to be the magic number and as far as defects in plating are concerned, need to be addressed when identified.

While there are repops available, maintaining as OEM where possible has been my focus.

She is stored indoors out of the weather and given any unknown cirumstances I anticipate will maintain well.

The protection applied on the back was my effort to retain finish for as long as practicle for both finished side & back.

Once the rust starts forming it can encroach into the finish side.

Now that the bumper is on the car, I feel better about it. Fitment is better than my original. The unknown is how well it will weather.

I'm familiar with Bumper Boyz but did not see their booth at the Portland Swap Meet this year. Last year they did not have a rear bumper to show me. I hate buying sight unseen. The other plate shop at the Meet only had a 1970 front bumper for sale. This was the only rear bumper available who I purchased it from and visually looks very nice and straight. If worse comes to worse, I know I have a very good core to work with. My original looked fine less the chrome flaking until I had removed it. While laying flat on the floor I could see where likely bumber came into contact with something. The chrome gave a wavey appearance when looking down the length of the bumper. Not sure if a poor chroming or what that was from.

But, time will tell how well this one will last. Just wondered if anyone else had any comments good or bad about this outfit I purchased from.

Doug

It is very common to find a gentle wave in the lower edge of the rear bumper between the area of the license plate and the tail light extensions. You will see it on both sides equally....it almost looks as if if it's supposed to be that way. Sound familiar? Mine has it: it's from the old style tow trucks that pick up the car with a sling under the bumper. Just FYI.

tow%20sling.jpg

• 1 month later...

Speaking of rear bumpers, My car came with a refurbished, replated bumper still in the box and the original, beat up bumper. I know rear repops just started, but should I hold on to old beat-up core?

Speaking of rear bumpers, My car came with a refurbished, replated bumper still in the box and the original, beat up bumper. I know rear repops just started, but should I hold on to old beat-up core?

Yes, an old oritional bumper can be straightened out and replated.

Rob