Bucket seat tracks

Montecruiser

Does anyone know if the bucket seat tracks for our Montes are the same or different from bucket seat tracks in an El Camino of simular years 70-72? What I need to know is do the El Camino tracks go back as far as the Montes tracks or is their backward travel distance less due to no back seat?

Chris 68-72 a body bucket seats are the same.

Well then I'm too fat. eek I set the seat in where it goes and it doesn't slide back far enough. The seats are out of a 72 El Camino, so I was hoping the tracks were different. Its the steering wheel then. My wood wheel is a bit deeper than the stock wheel. I figured I would just move the seat back farther. Guess not. frown Hmmmm, new steering wheel or diet........... Anyone recomend a good steering wheel? grin

Ert even though its for my own good Im tryin to avoid the diet. grin Anyway, I have a 15" wheel, what I was talking more about was the "back space" without a better way to explane it. My stock wheel was about 3 or 4 inches or so closer to the dash. Pics help.

wheelbs002.jpg

Sounds like its time for a tilt column.

Personally I would just move the seat tracks back a bit.

Already have a tilt column. whistle These bucket seats I have seem to sit in the car alot different than my bench. It just feels like I was able to move the bench seat back farther. Im not that much bigger than I was then. I will take your advice on moving the tracks back. cool

Did you take the brackets off of the seats at any time? If so, you may have the inner tracks on the wrong seat. I did this, and my seat was all messed up. Too high and too close. I tried sliding both tracks all the way back (without the inner side's spring on) and then looked to see if they were the same.

Hey Chris,

I ran into the same problem a few years ago. I had one set of bucket seats that I believe moved further back then my other ones. I'm not sure how they did it or what they originally came off of but they moved further back. I was so spoiled by them that I made brackets for my other car so they moved back further also. If I get some free time I will try to look and see which car it was.

Mike

Did you take the brackets off of the seats at any time? If so, you may have the inner tracks on the wrong seat. I did this, and my seat was all messed up. Too high and too close. I tried sliding both tracks all the way back (without the inner side's spring on) and then looked to see if they were the same.

I have 2 sets of these brackets. I started this in 95, long story made short, now I need to replace the original set I bought back then that are in the car. I test fit the seat to the old bracket that just came out. I used the original outer bolt holes when I set it back then. I only bolted the brackets in at that time so replacing them is no big deal. I stopped by the metal recyclers that I used to work at this morning and picked up some steel flatbar that will give me room to mount the tracks where ever I want. cool

Originally Posted By: Mike Brichta
Hey Chris,

I ran into the same problem a few years ago. I had one set of bucket seats that I believe moved further back then my other ones. I'm not sure how they did it or what they originally came off of but they moved further back. I was so spoiled by them that I made brackets for my other car so they moved back further also. If I get some free time I will try to look and see which car it was.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Im glad to hear that maybe its possible that the seat may be the problem and not my belly. lol And here right away I blame the steering wheel. whistle

Well, you could make the switch from this to this:

14769369db87ab4.jpg

and skip all the mods to your seats and forgo the diet for now.

Well, you could make the switch from this to this:

14769369db87ab4.jpg

and skip all the mods to your seats and forgo the diet for now.

I was kinda thinking that way too Mark but I like my steering wheel I got (for now) and the way money is right now Im cutting it pretty close to just get it on the road by June for the first show in Canada near Aarons. I like the idea of relocating the tracks back a little. It gives my legs a little more room. cool Im a big guy but I've seen alot bigger guys than me have more room in our cars than I do. The guy I got the seats from said they are out of a 72 El Camino but I don't know that for sure or if it matters. I do know that my bench seemed to go farther back, even with the extra distance of the steering wheel.

I am fat as well. I took my tracks off and welded them to the seat bottoms around 1.5 inches foreward. And it really helped with my 6'7" height as well. And I never once ate a baby.

Andy

Thanks Andy. cool Its good to hear no babies were eaten during the process. grin

i've noticed sitting in Leo's bucket seat monte there is a lot less leg room in a bucket seat car then there is in a bench car!

i like my bench seat smile