rally wheel center caps

N1RND

Does anybody have any ideas for original center caps that have the flat black paint flaking off?

On mine I used steel wool to clean up the area, then sprayed flat black paint. Once the paint was dry, I carefully used steel wool on the top of the ridges to expose the chrome ridges.

They came out great. Good luck.

If you just have a few chips here and there you can do a quick touchup using a black Sharpe Pen. It will work for a temporary fix but the suggestions of others above are the best solutions.

Rob

I used pinstripe tape; maybe 1/4"?

The original black areas have a slight taper. wider in the rear, but it isn't noticeable with the tape.

I was going to tape them off and respray them black, but that was about 4 times more work than I was willing to do. The pinstripe tape looks great and holds up well.

I guess you also have the option of changing the colors too....

Thanks fellas

I was kind of thinking of all of these ideas to some degree. I guess it either spend time or spend money to have new looking ones.

Guest RaleighSS

The Steel wool process sounds good. I cleaned mine with prep wash and steel wool as a preliminary step. I chose to mask the base and top leaving only the "ribbed" section showing. Then spray painted and immediately after used Q-tips dipped in solvent to remove the wet paint from the raised chrome ribs.

The "GM" Caps are $80 each in my Year One Cat. that is about

1-2 years old. The way prices are increasing it won't be long for them to reach $100 each. If you have originals I would think it is well worth it to you to referbish them.

I did what Jim said above but I used thin cloth, like a t-shirt, wet with solvent pulled tight on a piece of wood. Ran the cloth over the high points removing the paint only on the high points.

Bruce