4 speed conversion

N1RND

My car has a small block and a th350. If I try to put in a factory 4 speed manual tranny, will the driveshaft work or do I have to get it lengthend/shortend?

I believe it depends on the turbo 350 weather it has a 6 inch or 9 inch tailshaft to match up with the 4spd one then the driveshaft should be the same...Plus you will have to put on a manual flywheel too for the clutch assembly to join too.

TH350 and most Muncie M20/M21 all have the same length and output shaft spline count (27) - therefore, no driveshaft mods required when swapping.

Some exceptions apply

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/60978_transmission_swapping_tech/index.html

Yeah, thats right Sam the crossmember is different too... I also forgot the steering columb too is different...

Speedometer is different, not needing the PRND12.

If your doing all that work, go with something with an overdrive.

I was just wondering, my car needs its complete restoration first before I would attempt that. I was just wondering, since the car is apart it is easier to make changes now instead of later. Unless I win money I'll probably keep the th350 and continue with the resto as planned.

I went the overdrive route, but not what I expected. I may research the Vendors Gear Drive unit some have talked about on the site. I wanted the low gears of a TH400 and the 700R4 just didn't give me what I wanted. I still want it to drive on the road, and still have the gears to run the track.

..... I wanted the low gears of a TH400 and the 700R4 just didn't give me what I wanted. I still want it to drive on the road, and still have the gears to run the track.

I may be misunderstanding you . The TH400 has a higher first gear ratio than a TH350 . The 700R4 has the lowest first .