block pressure

Donny vestal

can anybody tell me why my 400 is building pressure in the bottom end.i can drive it around town it aint that bad but get out on a long run it blows oil out the valve cover oil cap[vented]and the front seal. confused

A PCV setup is the difference between the breather leaking oil on top of everything and it not leaking a drop. (in my car at least) It will also help your oil last longer, drawing out the caustic fumes from the crankcase. Unless you have a drag only car, I would run one for sure. Cheap, easy and they work.

Every motor has leakage past the rings. Older high-mileage engines are worse. The PCV will do its best to vacuum out the excess pressure from inside the crankcase, but if the rings don't seal well, the pressure problem is too much and it's going to escape (with oil) from somewhere.

Your problem seems to be with high speed running. Most of the time pressures build when the engine is heavily loaded. If you have oil pushing out of you breathers with light load and high speeds, I'd check the location of the breather openings in the valve covers: are they aftermarket covers without baffles and the breathers are positioned directly over a rocker arm? That is a recipie for problems.