12 Bolt Axles and c-clip questions

TommyP

I want to beef up my axles in my stock 12 bolt (stock except for Moroso posi unit and 4.10 gears) but I’m not sure what direction to go. I was thinking about going with Moser axles and c-clip eliminators but the Moser site says that they don’t recommend them for street use due to the aluminum flexing and developing leaks. I know that you can get the ford housing ends and get them welded on to the Chevy housing but that’s not really something that I can do myself. What have you guys done with your cars? I just don’t want to break an axle and tear up my car in the process. cry

not sure what your plans are for the car. i'm running in the low 11's with the stock 12 bolts axles with the c=clip eliminator bearing pressed on kit. i drive it on the street too, no leaking problem. i believe it was a "strange" kit. what ever you do. it is better then the c-clip that's in there now.

thanh

I just went through this same thing. I ended up going with some beefed up Strange C-clip style axles. The eliminators involve cutting the ends off your rear end, and that wasn't something I wanted to do. You can see below that the axles are quite a bit beefier than the stock ones throughout the full length. A kit with Axles, Bearings, and seals was only $225. I did go with 1/2" screw in studs, I don't like pressing them in. 12 bolt axles

Screw in studs

I did not go with Moser axles because it looked like the hub flanges were slightly thicker, and my tire clearance is very tight.

The 2" long studs were the exact length I needed to be NHRA legal with Cragar SS wheels. I don't like them sticking way out through the lug nuts.

For what it's worth, my car ran times quicker than in your signature for the last 15 years and I didn't have any axle problems with the stock ones and slicks. I've since broken everything else, and figured they would be next.

08282010713.jpg

What have you guys done with your cars?

I went with the after market C-clips axles from Moser with 1/2" screw in studs...comes with huge axle bearings compared to the stock ones. Very thick axles just like in the picture above.

Originally Posted By: Winston Wolf
I did not go with Moser axles because it looked like the hub flanges were slightly thicker, and my tire clearance is very tight.

Yes they are, some people found this out the hard way...luckily in my case I was happy they were because my tires were very very close to the frame and they brought the wheel/tires out maybe an extra 1/4".

Tommy mine is set up like Than's where the stock 12 bolt style ends are used with the press on bearing and a retainer plate. Never leaked and the clip eliminators are good for saving quarter panels if you do happen to break one. I just replaced mine old ones with a Moser 35 spline spool and axles and didn't have to change anything from where it was. I'm using 3"x1/2" studs, my old axles already had a thicker flange so it didn't matter.(this is on the Velle)...Dave

I run the Strange version of C clip eliminator. They have a tapered bearing instead of a roller bearing to take more side loading. I did cut my the end of my axles at the C clip groove. I did not have to but it enabled me to press the bearings and retainer rings a little further onto the axles giving me a touch more clearance on the lip of the wheel well.

Thanks for the responses. I ordered a Strange catolog yesterday. I might have gone a little overboard thinking that I needed the race axles. It looks like the stock axles or the c-clip replacement axles with some kind of c-clip eliminators would work for my car. I'll use the money that I'll save to get a stronger driveshaft and u-joints after seeing what happens when one of those breaks.

I install Moser axles and Moser c-clip eliminators. No issues of yet. I installed the Moser screw in studs. My stock axles had the Strange eliminators and I had no issues with them either. Moser makes great products. Good luck on your project.

Duder, my formula for mine and my customers cars is simple on the gears. I go with a set of GM gears, not aftermarkets. My professional opinion is a good used set of GM gears is 10x better than a set of aftermarkets. Add a set Moser's Street Strips axles with press in studs. A good set of heavy duty u-joints and color it a day.

I don't build race cars. But if you want to raise a little hell in your neighborhood, folks tend to come to me. I get you as fast as you can afford. Crazey Davey has one of me out by him. Read Daves build. He has not backtracked at all. I'm the same way.

I build packages, not engines. Bring me a car and a budget, and I will get you as fast as you can afford. If you want me to build the front half, we either start at the back half or don't start at all.

And that is my 11.0 rear end recipe. Build a driveshaft first, tighten up the gears, and then have fun up front.

Andy