restoring/repairing steering wheel

Shadow Gray SS

Greeting Jake, there is a way to fix a cracked steering wheel.

I saw it on a two guys garage or Muscle car show, it involves using a product called PC 7 you can buy this at Home Depot etc.

it is a epoxy and you mix part A with part B,it is almost like using body filler .

a lot of sanding and reapplying but on TV it came out great.

On the show they used it on a wooden wheel with great results.

i have a wheel which i am about to refinish.

Bill

I would also be interested in how it comes out. If it comes out great would you be able to write an article for the club newsletter. I was wondering if after the patch work is done do you paint it or stain it and clear coat it.

Rob

Jake...

Another option...POR15 has a steering wheel restoration kit.

Me and Lisa are in the process of restoring the "normal" wheel on a 70. We did not get it done before the show...so I still have a 71 wheel on the car.

So far...though...the POR15 kit has been great...we are about ready to prime then paint it.

Here is a linky for you...

POR15 Kit

Not cheap...but has more than enough to do what you need. Let me know if you would like to see a few pictures...as our wheel was a basket case when we started, and now, it is starting to look good again. Right now, it is black with the "white" stuff all over where we filled in the cracks.

Hope this helps.

Rodney

I've restored a few and guys have been using JB Weld or Marine Tex for years, and now some companies are putting together repair kits so they can profit. The pc7 is probably a good product but I've never used it. Either of the epoxies I listed work great. Clean and degrease the wheel and use Nytril gloves while working to help keep it clean. You just need to open up the cracks with a file (or cutting wheel if the crack is in a flat area) and end up with a vee shaped groove. Drill small, shallow holes into the sides of the groove so the epoxy gets a good "grip". Sand and reapply and sand until you get the shape you need. Use masking tape to form a mold, if needed, to hold the epoxy in place until it sets up.

Clean and degrease the wheel, sand with 400, clean, degrease and tack rag, prime it, sand with 600, clean, degrease and tack rag, and paint with a good automotive base coat/clear coat or other durable paint.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...