BOP will it work????

71 MONTE 4 YA

Hey guys I took the cover back off of the BOP rear end that I have and emptied the fluid out and found these numbers on the pinion gear 12A41 GM SS. If I am correct that means that there are 12 teeth on the pinion gear and 41 teeth on the ring gear meaning I have 3.42 gear ratio. Correct? There were these numbers also 894703 220. Any help is always appreciated. Thanks... Rodney

Yes, you have 3.42's. 41 divided by 12 is 3.42. That 12A41 GM SS should be on the ring gear outer edge.

Too bad you don't live closer, I still have a stock BOP (Pontiac) 10 bolt outfitted with posi 4.33 gears, drum backer plates and axles included that I would let go for fairly cheap. Probably would need an overdrive tranny though. - Dave

It is actually an Olds rear. It has a 10.3 inch ring gear and it is different than any other GM rears. It is great that it has a 3.42 gear in it. It should be a nice cruising gear.

It is actually an Olds rear. It has a 10.3 inch ring gear and it is different than any other GM rears. It is great that it has a 3.42 gear in it. It should be a nice cruising gear.
Thanks Mike. Now I have to get a shorten driveshaft.

How long of a drive shaft do you need? I have one that came from a monte with a TH350 and a 12 bolt chevy rear.
To be honest Mike, I do not know. But I was told that it had to be like 3 inches shorter. I don't want cut mines just in case I might need to go back to stock.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the perches in the mail today and I really thing I'm going to be all set with these. I laid them on the axle and it's going to be a perfect fit. Here is a picture of the actual spring perch:

2012-09-10224251.jpg

Rodney how well does the coil fit? To me it looks like the coil will need a large opening at the bottom. I also see where it says offset so this will change the location of the coil spent from sitting above the rear end to either in front or behind the rear end.

Rodney how well does the coil fit? To me it looks like the coil will need a large opening at the bottom. I also see where it says offset so this will change the location of the coil spent from sitting above the rear end to either in front or behind the rear end.
Rob it sits in front of the housing just like the original on our Montes. I haven't tried a spring on it yet.