Break In Oil - which kind?

72 LS5

Time to start thinking about which break-in oil to use on the ZZ502.

It's got a factory roller cam, but I still want to be sure that I'm getting the protection I need (sounds like a commercial!) I don't want the break the bank, either, as I've heard of some oils running $9 a quart. crazy

Thanks!

yeah.. what he said.

for the first 500 miles or so, try to avoid full throttle starts and driving at one continuous speed. This will make your rings love you smile but do give it some throttle.. cylinder pressure is important to get the rings to seat :>

drive it 50 miles... change the oil & filter.

drive it 500 miles, change the oil & filter.

drive it like ya stole it.. that's about it.

Hey Mike,

Broke the engine( solid roller) in on a run-in stand with valvoline 10w-30 racing oil. Drained it cut the filter and all was good. Same type of oil when it went to the dyno and flogged the snot out of it. Drained the oil (clean) after the runs and cut the filter and no suprises.

David

Hey Mike,

I had the same decision to make with my zz454. Then I read the article in Super Chevy where they broke in and dynoed a zz454 and they used Royal Purple Break-In Oil. I figured that if they used that oil then I would also, even if it is a little expensive. I did not want any problems with the engine after all of the work I already have in it. I also did not want to have GM say I voided the warranty by not using break-in oil. Maybe I am just being paranoid, but after all of the time and money already in this project, what is another $50? I hope to fire up the engine in the next week or so.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engi...gine/index.html

Mike