cam and converter question

kc8oye

I'm looking at some new cam options.. one that catches my eye is the Lunati Voodoo 60103..

it's 227/233 @ .050 with .498/.504 lift.

they spec an RPM range of 1800-6500

am I right in assuming that if this cam will make power as low as 1800 rpm, that my 2400 rpm stall converter will probably work quite well with a cam like this? I also have 3.55 gears.

and my compression is somewhere in the high 9's.

I think that cam could pull that high in a 350, small cube with that duration should make power that high. Whether your heads will allow it to pull that high is another question though. Also, you will be putting your rods, bolts, and pistons to the test revving them that high in my opinion. I think your converter will be ok, but not optimum. I bet that cam really starts coming on around 3k.

I already pull to 6000 rpm every pass with the cam I have now, and it's quite a bit smaller.

i plan to move my rev limiter from 6000 to 6200 so I can shift @ 6k w/o hitting the limiter. I have no plans to go any higher then that on a stock bottom end.

but my combo just runs out of lung before the 1/4 mile speed traps, and I think this cam will get me what I need.

Cylinder head upgrade is down the road.. provided my current heads will tolerate the .504 lift..

Tim, just because it goes to 6k does not mean you are getting all you can get out of it. Remember, your current mph is pretty low right now, the big indicator of overall power.

There are tons of cheap used aluminum heads out there as people upgrade all the time. I would save some green for a much better set of heads then figure out how much cam you need. No reason to go too low budget at this point, the car has been parked forever.

Or man up, make a drive over to my shop and pick up one of these 402s that seem to be breeding here. Still have not put a time on my spare parts built 402 but I am guessing it is somewhere in the high 12 low 13 and the thing likes 87 octane ethanol cleaning fluid some call gas,

Tim, you could shoot for my old combo...355ci, 200cc dart pro 1's, xe274 230/236 490/490. W/ the 1.6's the lift went to 522. I shifted @ 6500 all day long and went into the 12,s w/355 gears. Save for the heads!!