200-4R tranny

Sam (Bones)

I been kicking around the idea of retiring my faithful turbo 400 for a 200-4R to take advantage of overdrive so I can take some real road trips shifter

recommendations for good builders/suppliers?

If you want one to last, you need to get it built by someone who builds them for the fast turbo buicks. I don't know how much power this new engine you put in had, but I suggest "Buy once, cry once". Go billet internals and buy a good converter with a multi-disc lockup. Be prepared to spend 3k on just the trans and converter.

CK Performance

Jake's Performance

Extreme Automatics

Moved it for ya Sam. Have you checked out http://www.monstertrans.com/store/ they are based out of FL. I talked to them on the phone, and they seem to know their stuff. I have a 700R4 that I want to rebuild and they offer kits to take your core to there different level trans.

I looked at their kits as well and read mixed reviews about missing washers and other small pieces of the like in the kit. Make sure its complete.

I ordered the one for my Cutlass from Bowtie Overdrives. They are building it now. They have been great to deal with and have alot of excellent info on their web site. I should have it in a week or so and then all finished up the week after. I also heard alot of good things from the Chevelle guys which helped me make my decision to go with them.

Sam, I went with the 200-4R conversion last year as well. I got a good core from an 85 Monte SS to start with. Then ordered the rebuild kit and billet forward drum from Jake's Performace out of Texas. I couldn't find anyone around my area here that knew much about 200-4Rs and they all just kept trying to talk me into a 700-R4 instead. I knew it could be done though, so I kept looking. I ended up going to Transmissions Unlimited in Utica MI. Chuck is the main man there and did an excellent job of rebuilding the trans for me. Very knowledgeable guy, likes and knows classic cars, and stands by his work.

I'm currently running a ZZ4 350 with the fast burn heads which rates out to 385HP. I plan to eventually get a 402 rebuilt and drop into the car (mainly stock with a few upgrades) and should have no problems running the 200-4R trans behind it. That was something I discussed with Jake's Performance when ordering parts from them.

I now get about 20mpg and can run at highway speeds at around 2400RPM. So the overdrive definitely does the job there. Makes it nice when wanting to travel to some of the further away car shows and such.

Ben

a gear vendors is interesting, but I want a lower stall (new converter) and I've been beating on this 400 for years, it's needs some love, so I thought doing this conversion would be the smartest way confused

Sam, I went with the 200-4R conversion last year as well. I got a good core from an 85 Monte SS to start with. Then ordered the rebuild kit and billet forward drum from Jake's Performace out of Texas. I couldn't find anyone around my area here that knew much about 200-4Rs and they all just kept trying to talk me into a 700-R4 instead. I knew it could be done though, so I kept looking. I ended up going to Transmissions Unlimited in Utica MI. Chuck is the main man there and did an excellent job of rebuilding the trans for me. Very knowledgeable guy, likes and knows classic cars, and stands by his work.

I'm currently running a ZZ4 350 with the fast burn heads which rates out to 385HP. I plan to eventually get a 402 rebuilt and drop into the car (mainly stock with a few upgrades) and should have no problems running the 200-4R trans behind it. That was something I discussed with Jake's Performance when ordering parts from them.

I now get about 20mpg and can run at highway speeds at around 2400RPM. So the overdrive definitely does the job there. Makes it nice when wanting to travel to some of the further away car shows and such.

Ben

Ben, what rear end ratio are you running? I've got a 2004r from a Monte SS sitting my garage that I've been waiting to rebuild, but I have my doubts it would work well with my 2:73 rear end.