Carb Opinion Requested

ddiddle

I am currently running (well, I'm not currently running at all until I get this tick issue straightened out) an Edelbrock 650 carb. It runs fine, but my gas mileage stinks. I've been thinking of returning to a quadrajet to improve mileage at bit, and for the sake of originality, and found one here on a local ad.

It's a real Rochester and NOS - the original plugs are still on the vacuum ports. It looks perfect inside and out - guy says there's never been gas in it.

According to what I've found number-wise, it was a 1979 model, made for a 350 truck, manual trans.

Two questions then: 1. What's it worth, realistically? He wants $150.00 or best offer. 2. Would it adequately feed my car for street use?

I would offer him 100.00 to see what he says. But if it really has never been run that's a pretty good price. If I remember the 79's had the idle mixture screws sealed off. The screws were behind the knockouts so if you have the carb off it should be easy enough to fix. Flip it over and you see the setup. Yes it should be a great carb. David

I'd save my money and buy a jet/rod kit for the Edelbrock. You should be able to get decent mileage out of it, if it is tuned correctly.

ditto

that is a good buy on that Qjet

Fine tuning may help.. I don't remember where I read that the Eddy carbs are normally sold on the rich side.. rather than on the lean side. Because of liability issues. It might be that you need to fine tune it.. check this out it.. helped me out. Although I'm still fighting an oversize carb. There are a couple of parts to the installation tutorial. It's got some info that might be only pertinent to newbies. lol

Originally Posted By: Winston Wolf
I'd save my money and buy a jet/rod kit for the Edelbrock. You should be able to get decent mileage out of it, if it is tuned correctly.

ditto

that is a good buy on that Qjet

Edelbrock can be great for gas mileage if jetted correctly! the performer series that comes jetted for fuel economy only needs 5.5-6 psi though... so if you jet it lower you will either need a regulator or an electronic pump (and just bypass the mechanical if you want to keep it).

the little extra's really save money in the end when it comes to gas mileage smile