2 core radiator

robs70monte

my Monte is a ac car it came with a 3 core well long short the radiator is shot i tried putting a 2 core i have laying around it just looks 2 small and i don't have a 2 core top to hold it in what do you Guys think

I think you can use the same top U jus have to get different rubber holders for the 2 core..U know the rubber cup holders that goon top and bottom..I think those are the only differences!

Is there a difference between 1970 chevelle 2 core radiator and a 1970 Monte Carlo 2 core?The 2 core im using is my chevelles old small block radiator if i put in in the Monte ware its supposed to in the small slots on the top of the support the 3 core top covers the cap on the radiator,the 2 core isn't as wide as the 3core

The cars with the 2 core rad have a different top plate to secure it in place. Even if you found a top plate for the smaller rad it would not bolt to your existing rad support. Although a 2 core rad will sit in your core support, there were actually several differences in the core support depending on the rad you got. The top rad hoses for the smaller rad are impossible to find also. I buy the hose for the 3 core rad and cut it to fit my car.

there should be no difference between the Chevelle or Monte 2 core rad.

Here's a pic of my 2 core rad car:

Monte_325.jpgMonte_330.jpg

3 core rad (Bill's 71 Monte):

new_monte_017.jpg

I know... I wish my monte was that pretty.... one day... until then I'mma keep working on performance and keeping it running lol as for radiators... I don't know to much there sorry...

I'm not sure I follow the issue here. My 71 350, NO A/C came with a 2 core rad. The top plate the holds it down has 4 bolts attaching it to the core support. I bought a replacement rad with 3 cores from an auto parts place 20+ years ago and it fit perfect except the overflow tube is slightly off vs the OEM rad. I guess I'm lucky it all fit.

Bruce

Bruce, The 2 core rad we are talking about is quite a bit shorter than the more common rad found in the Montes. My radiator is no bigger than the fan shroud. I added another photo from a different angle in my above post.

I think in 71, only the 350 2-barrell non-AC cars got the smaller radiator from what I've seen. the green Monte above is a 350 4-barrell non-ac car with a 3-core rad.

Another thing to consider Rob is that you may need to close up the large opening in the core support in order to direct more air through the rad. It's hard to tell in my photo but the opening in the core support is smaller than the core support for a 3-core rad. I have a large flat area to the right of my radiator so the air and bugs, etc dont just blow into the engine compartment.

Now I see! Yes, it is a tiny little thing isn't it. So cute...

Bruce

Ok im buying a new 3 core 1986 k5 blazer radiator of a bud of mine for 50 i measured it out its a quarter a inch taller but looks the same so it should work and its a aluminum core