turbo 350 transmission sensor

There's a sensor on the right side of the Transmission, behind the kick down cable, but in front of the dip stick tube, its a sensor for something. This sensor is an electrical connection for something, it has 2 prongs on it. what is the sensor? and what does the sensor do? and can i take it out and put a plug in it because it is leaking.

Most likely a TCS "transmission controlled spark" sensor. If so you can plug it off. Most people here have done the same. Just had mine removed as it was leaking too.

From what I found on the net - copied from a Chevelle forum"

"The trans spark selonoid is designed to not allow vacuum advance until you are in a top-end gear and the engine is up to temp. It is a very primative emission control device. I'll say that there is only a few left working and they are on NCRS cars. I had one on mine when I originally built the car and quickly took it off. It serves no performance at all so it is not on my car. "

So essentially it keeps your timing from advancing until warm.

It (the solenoid on the carb) also keeps the throttle plates open a bit more than the idle screw when you let up on the gas and coast in high gear. This keeps raw gas from being sucked into the engine causing a rich mixture and higher emmisions. It also works in reverse and that is how you adjust it. Mine came off in May of 1971 but sometimes I wish I didn't toss it so the engine would look more correct.

Bruce

Gotta love the carburetor depiction in that diagram!

Of course, my first thought was it was a martini...then I realized it must be an ashtray. Oops! It's obvious it's a variable-speed hourglass.

tcs14bb.jpg

It (the solenoid on the carb) also keeps the throttle plates open a bit more than the idle screw when you let up on the gas and coast in high gear. This keeps raw gas from being sucked into the engine causing a rich mixture and higher emmisions. It also works in reverse and that is how you adjust it. Mine came off in May of 1971 but sometimes I wish I didn't toss it so the engine would look more correct.

Bruce

Bruce I may still have the one off mine if you want it I dont think I tossed it but not sure I would have to check. Let me know im not useing it and I think I still have the orig 2 bbl bracket if thats the one you have.