Valve Springs??

71 MONTE 4 YA

I run them same springs (z28 springs) and my cam is the comp 268h with.454/.454 lift and the cam calls for 110-115 and the Z28 springs 110# @1.700" so you may need a bit more seat pressure

I run them same springs (z28 springs) and my cam is the comp 268h with.454/.454 lift and the cam calls for 110-115 and the Z28 springs 110# @1.700" so you may need a bit more seat pressure

Correct me if I am wrong because this is all new to me, but the recommended springs for the cam that I have is part # 981-16 and the seat load is 105@ 1.700 and the Z28 springs seat load is 110@ 1.700 isn't this already more than what's needed. The recommended open load is 273@ 1.250 and the Z28 springs open load is 325@ 1.200. Is this going to be a problem? Oh and thanks for chiming in here guys!!!

valvesprings.jpg

I like to run the recommended spring if available.

No telling where these were made.

I agree with Mike.

but you can run those springs. it is very close to the recommended springs pressure, I did not look at the dimensions of the springs, but if they are the same, should be no problem.

thanh

Ok, I sent those springs back and got the actual springs that my cam calls for Comp Cam part# 981-16. These are just the springs alone hence my next question. Can I reuse the factory retainers and locks? Sorry about so many questions....... Rodney

Ok, I sent those springs back and got the actual springs that my cam calls for Comp Cam part# 981-16. These are just the springs alone hence my next question. Can I reuse the factory retainers and locks? Sorry about so many questions....... Rodney

Well can I? Or not?

Rodney are you going to do the heads also? If you are give Jeff at Budget engine rebuilders a call. I have used him many times when I was in the business. He does nice work, not always the cheapest in town but it is right. He did my heads for I think $300. He ground the valves (ended up replacing five), planed the heads, new guides, valve stem seals, freeze plugs, and new springs.

DSC01215.jpg

DSC01220.jpg

DSC01214.jpg

DSC01212.jpg

Rodney are you going to do the heads also? If you are give Jeff at Budget engine rebuilders a call. I have used him many times when I was in the business. He does nice work, not always the cheapest in town but it is right. He did my heads for I think $300. He ground the valves (ended up replacing five), planed the heads, new guides, valve stem seals, freeze plugs, and new springs.

Man those sure are pretty!!!! I have a coworker that opened up his own speed shop. He has a Nova that he built and he's gonna do my cam and everything for $200. I bought all my stuff new but not from a supplier cause I am on a budget without having a budget nutzkickingkicking. But I have the cam, lifters, springs, and double roller timing chain. All COMP CAMS. I also got a 2500 stall converter. All together I spent $167.42. I am gonna just wait it out and see if I can get a deal on the correct COMP CAMS retainers and locks, since it's not gonna be done till later, but I couldn't pass up these things at such great prices. I am just gonna let my friend have it his way when it comes to doing the work. He knows what I want and he knows how to do it. shifter

Rodney.

was the stock retainer for a single spring or dual springs? single spring retainer will not work with dual or triple springs because they don't have the inside spring locators. but dual or triple springs retainer will work with single springs, as long as you check to make sure you have enough clearance between the retainer and the valve guide/ seal. and they are the same diameter.

hope that helps.

thanh

Rodney.

was the stock retainer for a single spring or dual springs? single spring retainer will not work with dual or triple springs because they don't have the inside spring locators. but dual or triple springs retainer will work with single springs, as long as you check to make sure you have enough clearance between the retainer and the valve guide/ seal. and they are the same diameter.

hope that helps.

thanh

Thanh the stock retainer is whats on my engine now so I have to say they are single springs if that's what comes from the factory. The new springs are single with dampners and the same diameter as the stock ones. Here is the listing for the springs http://www.compperformancegroupstores.co...uct_Code=981-16 My question is; When I get the new springs put in, can I just simply reuse my existing stock retainers and locks or am I gonna have to buy new ones?

You may not like this, but doing things on the cheap almost always goes south somewhere down the road. Instead of asking all these questions just wait until you can afford to get what your cam manufacture tells you is required for your valvetrain for your camshaft. There is no substitute for peace of mind every time you turn the key to crank over your engine knowing you cut no corners. JMHO.

You may not like this, but doing things on the cheap almost always goes south somewhere down the road. Instead of asking all these questions just wait until you can afford to get what your cam manufacture tells you is required for your valvetrain for your camshaft. There is no substitute for peace of mind every time you turn the key to crank over your engine knowing you cut no corners. JMHO.

Thanks for your honest opinion, but what if I'm never ABLE to AFFORD to do anything to my car. Why do you call it cheap? Maybe this is the only way that I can do MY CAR. There are some people that don't have deep pockets and still want nice things. Is this not a forum where people who don't know things can come and ask questions. I was told once in life that "THE ONLY DUMB QUESTION IS THE ONE LEFT UNASKED". I have followed a few of your posts and it seems like you have a problem with questions, call this place, call that place!! I am going to ask question here at my First Gen family first because I feel that someone has been there, done that once before here. I am in no way, shape. or form cheap, I just do thing within my means and if that includes searching for the things I want at a lower cost then so be it. Not everyone can call and order a $1500 stall converter or spend $10.000 on a engine. Just look at my quote in my sig. It is the truth. I have a dream of where I want MY CAR to be when and if it ever gets done and that's just it MY DREAM!!!. Please do not take this as disrespect and I know you really mean well but if I could do this differently; Don't you think I would?

comp has the measurements of all of their retainers on their web catalog. why not go there to compare the recommended retainer to your stock ones.
My engine is still all together. I am not doing this cam as we speak, since this is something that will be done at a later date. The stock spring diameter is what 1.250 right? My new springs are 1.254, the retainers Comp is recommending are for 1.250 spring diameter. So back to my question will the stock retainers physically handle the new spring pressure or is the metal inferior to the new Comp retainers?

rodney.

the outside diameter is fine. its the inner diameter you need to worry about. if the stock springs has the dampener, you're good to go. if not the dampner will not seat correctly on the retainer and you will have problem. as far as the metal, it will handle the new springs no problem.

thanh

comp has the measurements of all of their retainers on their web catalog. why not go there to compare the recommended retainer to your stock ones.
Originally Posted By: 71monteme
rodney.

the outside diameter is fine. its the inner diameter you need to worry about. if the stock springs has the dampener, you're good to go. if not the dampner will not seat correctly on the retainer and you will have problem. as far as the metal, it will handle the new springs no problem

thanh

Thanks guys. Thanks to 680HPStroker too.