OIL PAN

vince

Do I have to lift my engine in order to change the oil pan?

If so how high? and and is there anything else I need to consider? I am guessing I have to remove the motor mount bolts? It's a stock 350.

I think the oil pump becomes an issue. You may have to hand wrench the bolts out and let it drop in the pan. I would take out the motor mount bolts, jack it up and wedge a piece of 2x4 between the mount and bracket on both sides.

Will do any damage if raise the motor form the main pulley. What i mean is place a 2x4 on the bottom of pulley and the jack below the 2x4. Also is it possible to lift it too high that it will fall out of alignment with motor mounts? The pan i have now is ugly and leaks around the drain plug.

Shouldn't do any damage jacking it up that way. With a large enough piece of wood the weight can rest on the pulley and harmonic balancer. If the tranny is still bolted to the engine it shouldn't get out of alignment enough to worry about.

• 3 months later...

I am getting ready to tackle this project, But I have a few questions

1. What gasket is best to use the one piece or the four piece.

2. Is there a sequence to torquing the bolts and what is the foot pounds?

3. How can I tell if the counter weights are up on the crank?

The counterweights would be up at the front of the crank when the number one cylinder is at bottom dead center.

I like the one piece gaskets

I usually get all the bolts started then go around two or three times. The one piece gasket has torque limiters, sometimes the original bolts are too short

The FelPro one piece gaskets are the best. I use NO sealant, as per instructions. I also start all 4 corners equally with longer bolts. Then as Mike stated, draw the pan tight in a good back and forth sequence in order to keep the pan fitment proper. The one piece gaskets are thicker at the valleys and can appear at first to be the incorrect gasket. Thus drawing the pan to the block is the best way to istall these. And again, like Mike stated, the torque limiters are a very nice aspect. - Dave