Is it Possible to Make My Dream Machine?

blueanalyst

This is a post to the resto mod guys who are among my new automotive family here at FGMCC. These are gonna be the guys who have spent a lot more time on top of and underneath cars twisting wrenches than I have and who have probably forgoten more than I'm likely to ever know.

All of us have a dream car of some kind. Many of us Monte owners are probably driving them right now. But in addition to my 70 SS 454 I have always wanted to acquire and modify my first car, a 1959 Chevy El Camino. There are some out there and I know at some point with patience and money (probably lots of money) I want to re-acquire another 59 El Camino and put it on a modern 4X4 chassis and drive train.

Now that's the goal. What I don't know is what contemporary chassis could be made to accept the 59 without raising the body too high in the air away from the chassis. I imagine there will also be considerations concerning wheel base and spread so that the wheels are both centered and fit within the wheel wells.

I know I am asking for quite a bit of information here. But experience has taught me that there are Monte owners with very diverse automotive backgrounds that I'm hoping to draw upon. Having said that, let me thank in advance everyone who is able to contribute or who talks to people they know who are able to contribute something in terms of the information I need to know to determine if this is mechanically possible as well economically feasible.

Thanks again guys!

I'm well aware I won't be much help here.... but I love the idea. Kinda think it's a world of tape measures.... get out and see what fits with the wheelbase.... I know the mid 80's k5 frame is popular for swaps....for an Elky....maybe a suburban frame???... love the idea...wish I could be more help

I have seen one on a modified 90's Suburban frame and drivetrain. It had a fuel injected 454 ci engine and a 4spd auto transmission.

ditto

There was one running around here with the same setup. Also there is a 72 Camino on a 4x4 chassis that looked like it belonged up there!

131_0902_01_z+february_2009_4x4_trucks+1

Maybe a Trailblazer SS AWD set up work. I see them on eBay for about 5k. They include everything from engine to trans module drive shafts wiring harnes. etc I think it would be a closer match and it be one BAD ride. Ive always wanted that drivetrain in a first gen.......

Originally Posted By: Montemedic
I have seen one on a modified 90's Suburban frame and drivetrain. It had a fuel injected 454 ci engine and a 4spd auto transmission.

ditto

There was one running around here with the same setup. Also there is a 72 Camino on a 4x4 chassis that looked like it belonged up there!

131_0902_01_z+february_2009_4x4_trucks+1

I reckon i like dat on right der...in my best redneck voice lmao.... that is a nice looking truck...umm...car...ummm...truck... there is a late 80's cougar around here...it just ain't right though lol