Diesel Monte?

So what do you folks think about the idea of a turbo-diesel first gen?

The biggest problem I can think of is the horrible weight problem you'd have at the front. It would take quite a lot of work to get the suspension worked out.

Would like to hear more input on this idea...

That's exactly what I had in mind... that or put a Duramax into another (non-first gen early GM) vehicle...

Number 1 problem: from what I understand, a Duramax can easily weigh 800+ lbs.

What can be done to compensate for that?

I've got the 6.0L Diesel in the '06 F450 service truck that weighs just under 13K Lbs. It would be super impressive in a 3500-4500 Lb. car. I am not impressed with the lag from taking off from a dead stop, but if you go half throttle with foot on brake (done any time heavy traffic is around) and let off it will get up and go. It gets the same MPG as our old '97 waaay worn out F450 w/7.3L service truck LMAO!! Which is about 9.5-11.8 MPG and I don't lead foot either.

I want to go test drive a cab and chassis truck just to see how far the duals can smoke....

Well here is a 1500 4x4 Chevy turned into a Duramax Hot Rod... They modified the engine a bit but it runs in the 12's, has 4-wheel drive, and gets 25 mpg at 75 mph...

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/project2-16.htm

Also in 2010 or so, Chevy is coming out with a smaller diesel engine that will be no bigger than a gas engine but get 25% better fuel economy. Hmm... the possibilities...

• 10 months later...
Guest supercoupe5

it is not a monte but it is cool. the guy is in cali. and he took a cutlass diesel replaced all the body panels with regal grand national tin and put in a duramax. he did it that way cause he said cali does not sniff test the old diesel cars. dave

DSC00123.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

Thanks Dave, I could not find it anywhere.

Hopefully that was just a regal made to look like a Grand National... crazy

I LOVE how that car looks! The diesel didn't really impress me, but it looks cool. I think he needs higher gears, it seems like it ran out of rpm too fast, of course he might have just wanted to avoid hitting that wall too!

Take that same car, and stick a 454 in it and I'd like it alot more! Love that mini-tub job.

he took a cutlass diesel replaced all the body panels with regal grand national tin and put in a duramax.

I just reread this part blush, I feel better now... smile

I'd like to build a duramax monte nutz

Exactly what I would like to do but would cost big $$'s. Would be really cool though and should still turn some good number's at the track. If I ever hit the lottery I'm putting one in my car and then I could drive the dang thing everywhere.