Cam for 1970 Turbo Fire 350-300HP (HELP!!!)

1970MonteMotion

Hi guys and gals,

I am currently in the market for a good cam. I prefer Lunati. I had one a few years back in 1971 350 LT1 and it sounded/performed great. I guess my question would be, which cam and lifters are for me? So many choices... Hydraulic roller, Hydraulic flat, solid roller, retro fit etc... I can't remember which one I chose last time, or why I chose it. If it helps, some of my other mods on basically a stock block would be Hooker Headers, 750 Holley carb, hi-rise Holley intake,and I may change the heads out to 327 double humps, but not sure. I know my last cam was a bit radical, because I had to add a stall to the tranny, and I want to say it was a 3000 stall but not certain. I'm not even sure why I swapped the heads on the last one, but it made the compression higher. My builder talked me into it. That may be about all I do. No pistons, bores, cranks/strokes... atleast for now. All opinions welcome.

the two biggest mistakes people make is over cammimg and too much carb, I feel a 650 is more than enough carb (I run a 750 on a 454) call Lunati, they'll help you out, I, myself won't use flat tappet cams anymore

the two biggest mistakes people make is over cammimg and too much carb, I feel a 650 is more than enough carb (I run a 750 on a 454) call Lunati, they'll help you out, I, myself won't use flat tappet cams anymore
Appreciate the reply, I'll consider the carb size, or reconsider rather.

Roller is the way to go nowadays, esp with today's zinc-less oils. Sure its more money, but worth it. And your neighbors won't call the cops when you are breaking it in!

I had a 650 double pumper on my 350 in an 85 Monte, and that was plenty of carb.

Cam - can't help ya... but CARB, I can back up all of the above. For a 350 you shouldn't need 750 CFM. You'll be fine with 650 and below...

I run a Holley Ultra Sreet Avenger 670 CFM on my 383, and it is a hell of a breather...

If you do go Holley, I really like the new Vacuum secondaries they have (as long as you tune them right). They sound really cool when they open up.

You also probably already know this - but don't forget to buy the Jet Kit, and the Accelerator Pump Cam & Nozzle kits, as Holleys NEVER are set right out of the box (despite their claims)...