INNER FENDER AND FIREWALL PAINT

DRDIRT11

Just wondered what kind of paint you guys used on your cars that are completed and how its held up. i have some high solid semi gloss spray paint which is the higher end spray bomb. I just dont want to do it all while it is disassebled then not last. I do not have acess to paint gun. I guess in need to to buy a paint gun and learn to use. What would be a good gun to spray sealer and paint these types of things.

Hey Joe, You need to take a look at the POR15 product line, I've used several of their products and this stuff is great. A little pricy but appears to be bulletproof. I've done the complete underside of mine with a brush & spray can, now I'm moving into the engine compartment. They also carry several topcoat colors also.

When my engine was out (25+ years ago) I painted the firewall with a 2 part epoxy Corlar primer from DuPont that I don't believe is made anymore. It was too flat (too low of gloss) and had a green tint because of all the anti corrosion stuff in it. I should have painted over it with a slightly higher low gloss black but the engine had to go in and I never did 25+ years later. Inner fenders are plastic but the frame got the same primer then a specially flattened IMRON black for the topcoat. Things were so easy when I worked at DuPont automotive paint, the only thing I miss, free paint!

Bruce

I used some semi-gloss black spray can Platsi Kote paint on mine (firewall, frame, rad support). It has held up OK but probably not the best paint to use. The semi-gloss is shinier than the stock paint but it's easier to keep clean.

I did not paint my plastic inner fenders.

I used SEM part number 39143 trim black on my firewall and other parts under the hood. I like it real well and it was easy to spray. My only problem was the previous owner used an enamel paint and the SEM is lacquer based. I had to take lacquer thinner and wipe all of that enamel off to get the Trim black to not have a wrinkley affect.

Joseph here is a picture of the frame we did for our El Camino frame002.jpg also a picture of the firewall 002-1.jpg we used Rust Encapsulator from eastwood which can be painted over rust. The frame set outside in the weather for a year after that that one picture had been taken. When you uncovered it the only rust that was showing up was from grinding dust where the h-pipe was worked, the frame still looks good and so does the firewall.

The SEM products are from a rattle can. The POR15 products come brush able and flow out very well. I used POR15 on my frame when I had the motor out in Dec and sprayed the SEM trim black right over it.