Front Speakers Question(s)

OhMonte

Good morning!

I am milling around eBay looking for front speakers. Before I pull my dash apart, will a 3.5 inch speaker work in the front dash? Also, some of the 2-way speakers shown have a second, smaller, inner tweeter that looks as though it sticks up a bit in the center of the 3.5" speaker, meaning I would need clearance on top, unless the entire speaker can recess a bit.

I just want to make sure 1.) 3.5" will fit and

2.) are there any clearance issues above and around as in the driver's side being a tight fit.

Anyone put in their own setup and what size and brand speaker worked?

I did 4x6 in my dash I used JBL speakers. The main thing is to look at the size of the mag as the org. 4x6 was turned at an angle to clear the dash. I mounted my in the org. spot but only used one bracket to hold it in place and it has not move since it was installed in 2001. 007-3.jpg008-3.jpg011-3.jpg then when the dash pad goes on(all the clips on the windshield side installed and the screws at the front in)009-2.jpg

Wow! Fantastic. Thank you for the information and great pictures. Problem solved.

I am designing a very discreet, yet clean powerful system for my Monte. Providing it all works out, I'll be posting a full how-to in the Spring. Stay "tuned".

As a final note. Make sure speakers are compatible with radio used. 10 ohm speakers only if using factory Delco radio to avoid damage to radio.

If after market, check radio specs for correct speakers.

Good luck with your project.

Doug

i know about discreet i have this hidden in the back subs007.jpg

Nice setup what radio and speakers are you running. I am going to install speakers in my dash and either put a radio below the dash or get one that installs where the factory one was. I have the factory radio could put in, but not sure it works? Besides then I'd have to hook up a speaker to it. AM here sucks except for weather and traffic LOL

Any info appreciated I am going to do a radio for next summer cruising. I have a set of 6x9's in the REAR (or a pair of crappy ones that will be changed) and can put in an amp in trunk etc. Nothing crazy just loud enough to hear of the exhaust grin

Scott

The head unit is a pioneer am/fm cd player with a option cd changer which is mounted to the sub box. Speaker wise I have a set of Sony 6x9 4 way in the package tray that makes the rear seat have headrest, up front I have the 4x6 jbl's in the dash then down in the kick panel is a set of 4" prymidas. The sub woofer box is made for a 97-00 dodge ram and it houses two 10" pioneer subs which is feed by a pioneer 2channel amp which puts out a total of 760 watts. The sub do face the back of the rear seat as that is the way I wanted it, the only item not pictured is the 1/4" aluminum plate which hides the sub box. Over all I have roughly 800 bucks in my sound system radio ran about $200 in the early 00 , 4x6 speakers $60, 4" speakers $40(flea market) 6x9's probably $200, amp $80(Walmart), box $125 and the subs ran $99 each.

Thanks that is a big help. Not sure about the kick panels I like the fresh air vents for summer cruising in the heat. NO AC. But the rest sounds doable and I have some of the components (speakers for rear and know where I can get the fronts) to start with. But I want a stealth unit maybe and mostly will be MP3 anyway as I have a CD 6disc in my Miata now and it's old non MP3 or CD-R readable so it's coming out and may put it in the Monte with a head unit, but likely putting in one with all media playing capability so no need for the bulky CD's any more...Served it's purpose but need to upgrade.

Rest of it however is good starting point. Appreciate the info.

Regards

Scott

It's all in how discriminating you ear is, but it has been proven that compressed media will never have the same audio quality as regular compact disk audio. Once again it all depends on your ear. Most folks either can't hear the difference, or just don't care as portable media is now all the rave. Just food for thought.

Here is all you need. I'm building my system off of this premise. No head unit, no bulky CD changers, if you have an iPod or mp3 player (or better yet, an iPhone) you can run this system and expand it as big as you want to go. I'll be using a JL Audio 10" sub inside of a JL sealed PowerWedge. Also using Rockford Fosgate amps for front 4x6, another for JL Audio 6x9 in back and 300w Punch amp for the sub in trunk. You can put the new Rockford amps just about anywhere as they are very compact nowadays. Pick up a cheap passive 5 band eq with front, rear and sub crossover built in ($25 eBay) and that handles your fader and sub levels. Put that in the glovebox.

Follow this link below and you can get the parts all on EBay. The basic setup in this blog is really inexpensive, but if you want big sound, you'll need more than the single speaker system.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=11082

Follow this guys plan and you are ready to roll. If you hide your amps and use banana plugs for your sub, you can remove it for car shows and tuck that iPod wire in the seat crack.

Joe

In my lifetime, first, to have AM with a rear seat speaker was great, then FM or better yet FM Stereo, then 8 track came along, then cassette tape's, then CD's. I must admit, I love my Bluetooth and XM radio today. Sorry, just reminiscing......

Bruce

Agreed, Bruce. I have a wild Pioneer system in my Pathfinder that has way more technology than I'll ever need. It'll even read my Facebook updates to me as I drive. That being said, the system outlined in the link I posted is best optimized with an iPhone. The possibilities are limitless at that point. You have your iTunes library, as much music as you can fit in the memory, XM, Pandora, every AM and FM channel that streams online, Bluetooth, and you can also expand to video output from the iPhone to play movies, videos and YouTube, should you decide to go hog wild and add video monitors in your car (not that you would, but you could). That's for the tuner car guys.

I have grandfathered unlimited data on my phone so I'm set. But many carriers are offering unlimited data plans now, so if you have reception, you have access. Otherwise just enjoy your iTunes and MP3 library. As for sound quality, running it through an EQ fine tunes anything for the discerning ear.