wiring

jacob

wiring I have alot of questions how do you remove wiring. What do all the colors mean? has any one used painless wiring is that easyer to work with... why dose my grand dad hate auto wiring/ lol

Most shade tree mechanics do.. Hate wiring that is..

Because there is NO real rhyme or reason on the colors between car makes and models..

Having a detailed wiring diagram is the only way to go.. That way you figure out what is crap and what isn't..

grand dad is a smart man, thats why...

Become VERY good friends with Darren (LS5), he is the shiznit when it comes to the wiring on these cars..

Wiring Montes is E-Z. Be thankful they are not "SloPars" (mopar) of the same era...like the 68 Road Chicken and 70 Challenge-less that I'm currently re-wiring for my buddies. Educating one's self is E-z, too. Step 1) Break down and spend the $30.00 on a faktory service manual*. (notice, I said facktory, not Chiltons or Clymers or Acme brand Manuals) Thumb thru it while your sitting around with the T.V. on or taking your morning dump. Copy the wiring diagrams so you can write notes and additions on them. Step 2) Go to MAD enterprises website and look at all his info....simple and so understandable that even my SloPar friends can understand (some) of it. (P.S., You'll be amazed at what their headlite relay kit will do for nite driving!!!) 3) Buy a simple test lite*. 4) spend another $25.00 on a Digital Volt Meter* (get one with the Continuity Beeper) {Even the $5.00 units at Harbor Freight work - but buy two). 5) Buy or make some test leads with aligator clips and an in-line fuze*. 6) Spend another $12.00 on a basic "12 volt/car wiring for dummies" type book*...swap meets are full of them. 7) If your not sure, put a fuze on it. 8) Anything that I put an * next to should be kept in the trunk at all times. 9) Don't be scared to pull your battery out and put it on the bench and play with some simple circuits, like a light bulb and switch (See No.7). 10) Good ground connections!!! Pretty much every metal part of your car is part of the "ground circuit". (example:On montes, the W/W switch case has to be grounded. 11) Next car show, look at the wiring on other peoples' cars with the same critical eye that you would use looking at their paint, interior, engine or girlfriend. Chances are you'll know what looks right, then ask them questions. remember, we all like to talk about our cars and their modifications. 12) Fear not!!...fuses* ain't too expensive, so if ya blow one, you know something ain't right.

yeah my grand dad had his 1939 ford rewired by a guy my and grand dads dad gave him a car instead of money. I have a factory assembaly instruction manual for 1972 chevelle and elcamino / monte carlo ... I dont understand the pictures. I have heard of wiring books but I dont know if that would be for the monte carlo or not. I hope I dont have to deal with wiring but I would like to learn how to deal with some wiring issues.

Hey Jacob , what sort of issues are you haveing?? Or are you thinking of pulling all the wireing and getting it cleaned up and re-installing the whole thing or.?? The wiring in our Monte's / Chevelles all come apart in sections from the engine compartment to interior to trunk and gas tank/ tail lights.. Where we're you wanting to start? Basically just asking for more info..yes there is a reason for each color wire and what they are for in each se

Section of wireing harness for instance in the forward engine harness there is a light blue wire which is singled out for turning signals and then another light blue used in the wiper motor harness. So it can get confusing when the same color is used in 4 different sections of our harnesse's. Couple more for instance would be purple for ignition and tan for lights and black and white for amp gauge. So on and so forth. Yes lots to learn and memorize as Rod mentioned can be a pain but at least they are all color coated and not like a foreign trucks harness like "Hino" trucks where every wire is white and that's a nightmare...

Stay away from Painless. It's nicknamed "pain in the a##" for a reason. M&H makes excellent products as does American Auto Wire. Painless is cheap but NOT painless to work with. Try to describe your electrical issues here and you will get good sound advice from folks that have been there, done that.

For cleaning the wires of gunk (which is what I assume you mean) I use Spray 9 it is biodegradable and is soft on materials but cuts grime and grease very well IMO. Comes in a re-usable spray bottle.

I would like to remove most of the old wiring If It needs it For starters I think I would start at replacing the radio and speakers. Is replacing the speakers hard? I would want to start with something simple and work my way up to replacing some thing like wiring harnesses.

I wouldn't go pulling out anything till you know exactly what it does. Get a foto-copy of the facktory wiring diagram and make notes of anything you find, change, remove or tap into. Lots of times, the wires themselves are OK, but individual wire strands can be partly broken at the terminal/connector...like at the two wires that connect to the Alternator, for example. Always check ground connections!! Like the black wires at the back of the headlites that screw into the radiator core support/frame. Make sure the engine block is grounded to the Frame and body! Unscrew any ground "ring-Type" terminals, clean them with a small wire brush or a finger nail file and screw them back down. If you ain't done alot of wiring, a (simple) aftermarket stereo is a good place to start (see my AM/FM/Cassette/10-Disc Changer for sale ad in the "For Sale" section). And...Those "Screw-Clamp type battery cable connectors" that most people have are for temporary use...proper 2 Gage battery cables and clean battery posts are rule number 1...good luck!

Thank you I will make sure to be carefull and go slow on wiring.

Jacob,

Just wanted to give you this kink to a Photobucket album that has picutres of each page of my 1970 Monte Carlo wiring diagram.

1970 Monte Carlo Wiring Diagram pages

I understand that these print rather small so if you want/need to print the pages, send me an email note (dbengtson4@comcast.net) and I can send you the original photo files that should print larger. BTW, I don't know how much difference there is, if any, between '70 and '71/'72 wiring diagrams. These are specific to the '70.