Timing Chain Cover Gasket

RickWillson

Hi,

Has anyone ever changed a timing chain cover gasket without pulling the engine? Probably a dumb question, but I just put my engine back in after changing the oil pan gasket and dont want to pull it again. I know, I should have put a new gasket on the timing chain while I had it out, but didnt :-(

Thanks,

Rick

Rick, welcome aboard. It can be done but it's easier to drop the pan..we're talking SB right? I'll add a link to a prior post, it's been brought-up before. grinlink You know the funny thing is, it was engineered with interlocking tabs for some reason, although I never understood why? An old trick is to trim the seal retainer so the cover can come off with the pan in place. It's beyond me how they expected you to pull the timing cover without loosening the pan. It's not difficult it's just not the way the assembly was intended to go back together. Hope it helps..good luck.

I've changed the timing cover gasket in the car before. With the fan shroud out of the car and all the accessories off the front of the engine (Alt, fan, water pump, etc) there was room for me to sit in there and scrape off the old gasket. I dropped the oil pan when I did mine.

Thanks Guys,

Well, I took the cover off and it looks a little bent, so thats why it was leaking. I pick up a new one tomorrow. Should have it back up and running in no time.

I didnt pull the engine, I just took the first 2 bolts out of the oil pan and loosened the 3rd, and the timing chain cover came right off.

Gettin it back on might be more fun though. We'll see tomorrow.

Rick

Is there a "worn" groove, you can feel with your fingernail, on the hub of the harmonic balancer, where the seal rides? If there is, there is a repair sleeve that you should do now while the thing is apart. It stopped the leak I had from the ft seal and they don't cost much.

Bruce

Hi Stangba,

Yes there is, it is ever so slight, but its there about 1/2 way through from front to back around the circumference.

You say there is a sleeve that you can get for this? Where might I get one? Is it a common fix?

Thanks,

Rick

Well guys,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I tried putting the timing chain cover on without removing the oil pan and guess what??? I decided to pull the engine and do it. I got silicone all over everything and bent the cover and got very frustrated.

Engine pulled, work done, engine back in! Hookin everything back up now and hopefully no leaks. Wish me luck!

Rick