removing the headlight switch

bgl0b6

There is a button on top of the switch assembly behind the dash. You need to get your hand back there, press down on it and then you can pull the shaft out from the front with your other hand. After that you will see a large washer like nut with a slot. You can use a big screw driver to undo that nut which will free the switch portion from the dash then you can remove the plug and then finally the unit can be taken out. Hopefully someone will chime in and maybe show pics which makes it easier to understand.

Good luck

Your assumption is correct, Michael, there IS a trick or two involved. Sorry I don't have a picture, but I've done it a couple times so this is from memory.

You will need to remove your dash pad to get to the switch so take out the six screws that are in the upper lip of the dash and glove box door, lift the dash pad about an inch and pull it straight toward you. It's held in place by about five friction clips along the front edge so you may have to tug a bit to loosen it.

There is a fairly large electrical connector attached to the switch body so you should pull that off. Then, find the small plunger in the switch body that is perpendicular to the light switch shaft and either press it in or pull it out (can remember which) while you pull out on the knob and the shaft and knob/shaft assembly should come out in your hand.

Now you can more easily get to the nut/retainer ring that holds the switch body against the dash. Look at the front and note the two slots in the retaining ring against the outside face of the dash. Use a small, adjustable spanner wrench to unscrew that retainer ring and the switch can then be removed from the back side. If you don't have a spanner wrench, you can use a couple of flat-blade screwdrivers in the slots and turn them in unison or even an inside "C" ring pliers inserted into the two slots to loosen and remove that retainer ring.

If I remember correctly, I think Bruce has some great pictures that might help you. Maybe he will chime in here.

Good luck!

Remove dash pad

Unplug wiring harness from switch

There is a little spring loaded button at the rear of the switch

Push that button and you can pull the switch knob and shaft out

Unscrew the front nut using pliers or similar and you can remove the switch

I seem to remember that there was a ground wire attached as well, but not 100% sure