Distributor conversion to electronic

Toppless72

I’m sure this has been discussed before but, I am planning to convert my distributor this spring before the driving season. I want to keep my stock unit and install a Printronix or Accell trigger in it. What type do you guys use? I do not want to go with stock GM HEI because I want it to look stock.

JC

I have the pertronx in mine never had a days problem with it. Install was pretty simple dist has to be removed and a new power wire to the coil (the orig wire is a resistance wire) and the pertronx requires 12 volts to the coil when the key is on. Pertronx tech line is very good I called with a question and they were very helpfull. You may need a new coil also depending on the one you have on it. Good luck.

I just installed the Accel (same reason as you) unit in mine a little over a month ago, so far so good. Install was pretty simple, as others have said the distributor has to come out.

I have done Pertronics conversions on lots of tractors and a few cars never had an issue. I have other needs on the Monte and run a MSD. If I just cruised the Monte I would go with a Pertronics.

I have been running a Pertronix setup in mine for 2 years with zero problems. Easy to install, even for the inexperienced. I ran one in my jeep for years before with zero issues also. Upgrade the coil and wires while you're at it.

Nygel

The Accel is about $20 less and I was able to get mine for our 71 at the local Autozone when I would've had to order the Pertronix. The Accel has worked great for 4 yrs now.

Dan