hey guys i need a little bit of direction

stevns71monte

sorry that this has been my first post in awhile ive been busy (girlfriend family stuff) but ive been having some issues with the monte carlo. though i got the headers to stay tight an other problem popped up ive been running really lean car has been misfiring backfiring and just running like crap. not i changed the spark plug wires and cleaned my spark plugs tied the wires up so theu wouldnt touch the headers and that work! for about three hours and it went back to misfiring back firing and when im speeding up to speed limit or keeping my foot on the pedal to stay at the limit it will hesitate and jump back fire run good then start missing again. i checked my plugs and wires again and everythiing was still good. no burnt wires or fouled plugs my dad told me it might be time for a new cap and rotar but i checked them out and they still look brand new. what should i be checking next? or has this happened to anyone else before? my gas milage is suffering i just got a new job and gas prices are rediculous right now lol. and input would be greatly appricieted. thanks

This is an old simple test to see if maybe a plug is jumping to the header or block that you may not actually see. At night (dark) warm the car up and pull it into your garage close the door if necessary to get it as dark as possible but do not let it run for a couple minutes for obvious reasons. Check to see if there are any arcs (jumping light) around the spark plugs.

bills idea is great ,but take it one step further and spray water around the plug wires near the headers.

this will usually cause the leaking ignition wires to act up.

then replace all wires with new.

In a prior post you were questioning a lifter? May I ask is your ignition standard or HEI?
I had a similar issue years ago with a camaro (standard distributor) and even tho I thought the cap looked OK, there were tiny, tiny little cracks between a few posts.........

Originally Posted By: Mo's70MCs
In a prior post you were questioning a lifter? May I ask is your ignition standard or HEI?
I had a similar issue years ago with a camaro (standard distributor) and even tho I thought the cap looked OK, there were tiny, tiny little cracks between a few posts.........

Nothing but problems with the old standard Bakelite distributor caps, small cracks hard to spot being black, and carbon tracked. You ever have an ignition condenser go bad? I had one once that would work intermittently, talk about a pain. Yet his problem may not be even ignition related?

Have you changed enything else than the headers?

Did you really trace every plug wire from the plug to the distributor? I had a plug wire touch a header in a non-visible area once and it caused exactly what you said... I would not have seen that in the dark

Yup I took off the air cleaner looked at the cap and all the plugs. I just replaced all the wires a week ago maybe when I opened the garage again I checked all of them to make sure there was no burning or contact with headers

Fixed it hopefully. Keeping fingers crossed. On the passenger side there is a plug that is covered by one of the header tubes I went to pull the wire and it fell out hahaha so it seems to be firing fine and running fine. Lol thanks guys im now 100 percent ready for the car show ill be in tomorrow. Thanks again guys

Steve, your wires have to be rated for the high-temp also. Header temp can be pretty high. Though plug wires are not all made the same, even though some are made of silicone, the inner braids & insulation material differ. Are you still using 7mm wires?