Correct Engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not by the VIN on a '70 unfortunately.

there is a thread where we were looking at tranny tag info vs known

engine types. Can't remember what conclusions were reached though.

How do you know it is a BB car?

Hey Sean, welcome to our site buddy there is lots of great people here and knowledge too... As you look at your engine from the front on the passenger side hidden behind the alternator there is a flank off the block at the bottom of the head there should be a series of Letters and then numbers from left to right you may need to scrub it clean with a small wire brush.. Anyhow the last group of number on there will match the last numbers on your VIN thats how you tell if its the right engine for that car.. Pretty simple they dont match wrong engine...

Darren.

Can i find out wat engine was in the car by the vin number? Its a 1970 monte carlo with a original big block in it so can all my fellow monte's help me

Both the statement from Jake and Darren are correct. While the VIN number will not tell you what engine was in your car from the factory it will tell you if the one in it was the correct engine for that car. Some cars engine is coded within the VIN number as to which one it had from the factory.

You can, as Darren suggested compare the engine block stamping, on the pad he talks about, and compare it to your number car's VIN and they should match to a point. This was will tell you if it is the right engine (from the factory) but not what size if the numbers don't match.

Rob

Sean...start searching for the car's build sheet. It's a piece of paper that has all the information about your car on it. Start with looking under the seats that's where most are found. Other places are above the gas tank, under the carpet, and in some cases in the headliner (but don't tear out your headliner just for that...lol). Be careful because this piece of paper is 40 years old and pretty brittle by now. If it's under your seats I suggest taking the seats out of the car before you attempt to pull it out. It's typically trapped between the springs.

But don't feel bad if you don't find one...not all had them and some have rotted away over the years.

Good luck,

Steve