Header Help!!

hemij51

I have a 70 Monte with a 555ci big block. I now have a set of Chevelle 2" super comp headers on it and they hit the groung on every med bump. They just hang down way to far!! 2217hkr hooker #. I know a guy that has a set of Hooker super comp 2 1/8 headers on his, all lowered down and still has more ground clearence than mine. He cant rember the number and the number is on the back side of the header flange. Called Hooker and the cant tell me what will fit the big block Monte. What are you guys running on yours?? Please help!!!

Jamie welcome to the forum. One thing you will run across is that everyone has found pit falls with every header. I run headman headers on my big block Monte that sits a 1" lower then stock and have three inches of ground clearance at the collector. The headers I have are 1 7/8" down to a 3" collector using a ball and socket flange

your 555 might like the 2 1/8" tubes better, I'm pretty sure one of the tubes comes outside the frame rail, not sure if they'll fit or not, montes are very different in this area compared to a chevelle, I know the super comps for a chevelle won't, regular comps will, that seems to be the most common one here, I've been running the same set of 2455's for over ten years on our wonderful Michigan roads blehlol (sarcasm meant for Michigan roads)

Thanks Bones, the ones I saw did come apart on one side to clear steering post. I woud love to know what # they are. I cant seem to get anywhere with hooker about them. I seems like know one cares about Monte Carlos!! I may have to go with the 2455 if no one knows what else will fit?? God Dam Headers!!

This is a 402 CI BB but installed Doug Thorley #313C Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers on my 72 Monte with no fitment, plug clearance or ground clearance issues. They are 1/34" Tubes w/3" Collector.

I have about 4" ground clearance with plenty of clearance from floor pan.

Doug

im looking for some super comp headers for my 71.which headers are you running on your car? p/n?

Hooker Super comps with 2" tubes will not! fit a monte

but hooker comp (not super comps) part # 2455 will fit a monte, relocating the brake valve is all I had to do

We just installed a set of Sanderson BB3's on mine.

3/8" flange - 1 7/8" primaries and 3" collector. Comes with a reducer for 2.5" exhaust if needed. Sanderson BB3's

No contact issues whatsoever. Other than adding a 45 degree bend to bring outlet of drivers side header to face towars ground rather than hug engine.

Steve took pics last night. I'll see if he can post a couple here.

For a 555 cubic big block I don't think the Sanderson will be enough Dan...But here's a pic of that awful angle you have to make with the exhaust..... I have the Hooker 2455's in mine, they fit nice and I have yet to scrape them....actually just once...too fast over a big dip in the road at an intersection...my own stupid fault but it was still only minor.

9cf80f3d.jpg

But they are pretty.....

66f5b569.jpg

Steve