Electro Tip Wipers....

LS5

Supposedly this is the Rarest option out there... Does anyone have this option on their monte as it was only offered in 1970 and was dropped half way through the year.... I have some questions for the guy who has one installed.. as I have the wireing and Lever but am missing some stuff....

Thanks Darren.

YEAH BABY.... Just noticed this was the 10,000 Topic Posted....

Yeah !!!!!!!!!!!

Darren..

There's a mention of them in The Chevelle SS Restoration Guide. Text only, it reads:

A rare and unique option for 1970 only was RPO CD3 Electrotip wipers. These were activated by a small button on the signal lever, part number 3873684. The wires were routed down the steering column. A black cover, part number 7806271, protected wires on the column. Three extra holes were drilled in the firewall. A single 0.75 hole was drilled to the top left of the fuse panel where the harness assembly, part number 8901518, was routed through a rubber grommet that was used for protection. Two smaller, 0.147 diameter holes were drilled into the firewall next to the windshield wiper motor assembly to support the relay switch, part number 3973683.

Hey Paul thanks for the pics. It's actually only the relay that I am after, i see it in my Shop Manual with an illistration but you cant really tell how big it is and what it really looks like without seeing it in person. I know it has a plug in on one end and the other end has a fitting for the feeder hose. No-one repro's that one relay at all and trying to find one is like finding a needle in a hay stack...

Thanks again for the pics at least i can more or less see itnow i have to find one then i can install it sooner or later..

Darren.

I'm not sure if a hose is part of this option. Maybe for the Electrotip washer option.

There's chatter on a Chevelle forum that the option if original from the factory adds $2,000.00 to the car's value. It also mentioned that only 12 cars had the option.

There's a 3973683 relay on eekbay right now, $175.00.

Lo and behold, it has a vacuum port on it.

I have no clue how this thing hooks up but I'll bet it's detailed in a 1970 assembly guide.

What exactly does this option do?

(edit...)

Never mind , I found this!

The electro tip wiper option was available for the Chevelle only in 1970.

It was a button on the end of the blinker lever,

when pressed, would make the wipers do a single swipe of the windshield. I was told by a fellow TC member, of all the 70 Chevelles built, there were only 331 cars ordered with option "CD3".

What exactly does this option do?

(edit...)

Never mind , I found this!

The electro tip wiper option was available for the Chevelle only in 1970.

It was a button on the end of the blinker lever,

when pressed, would make the wipers do a single swipe of the windshield. I was told by a fellow TC member, of all the 70 Chevelles built, there were only 331 cars ordered with option "CD3".

Hi Tony, Thanks for the input from Team Shovel but I will have to call Poo Poo on them among the various other reasons I left them to come over to FGMCC, smilesmile that little info falls short as the Electro Tip Wiper option I have was pulled by myself out of a 1970 Cortez silver Monte Carlo that also had Fiber Optics and for a "Chevelle" only option my 70 El-Camino had that option too and then found this in a 1970 Monte Carlo Sales Brochure.....

Thanks though Tony and I know it was only what someone else had written and not yourself as I find your wealth of knowledge valuble as others here.....

PS. I also love the last Statement line on the brochure after the info.... smile

Darren.

monteoptions.jpg

I seen this in the sales brochure a long time ago and always wondered if any cars had it.

As for as the relay if you knew what kind it was, looks like you might could make a generic relay do the same function?

Honestly Darren I didnt know about the option or what it did. I did a google search and most of what I found was on Team Chevelle. Thats where I copied it from.

I have that brochure here and never noticed it.... pretty cool. Must be the sophisticated mini-computer lol

All is good Tony.... Thats why I wrote what I did back to you, I knew it was just copied stuff from Team Chevelle and I am pretty sure my old history with them is still sour from me being choked at them.. thank you for takeing the time and google searching on my behalf and thats why I find it great here. its when that is done to help out and as mentioned I find your help valuable Tony...... and others...

Darren.

I was looking for my own behalf more Darren, seemed like you knew what you were talking about grin

Before the google search, I asked what the option did. I should know by now to hit google first, cause you know anything you find on the internet is true!

Basically it was a Pulse option that gave you the chance to either just pulse swipe the blades across on 1 go and clear off rain or continue it running if you held your finger tip in longer and a quick squirt of fluid rather than turning on the full wiper mode if I am correct but could be wrong....?

Darren.