T/S problem

vince

I picked up a 71 bumper from one of our members (Murray) now I could finally get rid of the ugly Chevelle bumper yay

My problem is with the right turn signal when switched on The lamp lights up real dim. At first I thought it was a ground issue but the parking light, lights up real bright and the ground is shared. Then I thought it was the flasher but the right turn signal works just fine.

I put a meter on the left side signal and I get a consent 8VDC, Should that power be going on and off as if it was blinking? does the power come from the flasher?

(perhaps a bad flasher) Any help is appreciated.

I'm pretty sure the Bulb is installed correctly, it has a low and hi nub on the base. and a low and hi contact point in the socket. The funny thing is that the T/S worked fine when I had the old bumper.

I need to find my wiring diagram and see where the other end of the blue wire goes. My guess is it goes to the flasher. In other words I needs to find the source of the 8 volts. So far I traced the wire to the fire wall connection.

Poor connection someplace or poor ground is where I would look. I never used a volt meter to check voltage at the bulb, are both rt and left the same 8 volts? Did you swap bulbs?

I had a problem after replacing all my bulbs with new. Turns out they were made in CHINA and were just a bit smaller so they were loose in the socket. Got new USA bulbs and the problem went away.

Bruce

Well When I checked voltage on the left side it would blink on and off,the meter climbs to 12 volts and drops. I did swap the bulbs and the results were the same. The right side lights up real dim, I am going to throw a new flasher on it and see what happens.

Where are you grounding the volt meter? I would ground it to the battery and if it's still only 8 volts, I would trace the wire and you probably will find a rusty corroded or loose connection someplace.

If you were grounding the Volt meter to same bulb area ground (fender / rad support) and got 8V then switch to the Batt and get 12V, it's a poor ground.

You could add an extra temporary ground while it's flashing by piercing (I use my 12 Volt test light sharp end) the ground wire at the bulb. If it fixes it, follow the wire away from the bulb and pierce it again, perhaps at each end of the first connector you come to. Follow it like a road map.

Good luck,

Bruce

The DVM was grounded at the fender and the battery. Each time I got the 8 volts. I did use the test light at a temp ground by connecting on end to the battery and the other end touching the base of the bulb, with that I saw no change in brightness.

Sam: Are you saying if one side blinks the other should blink as well? is thee one set of contacts in the flasher or two?

I am starting to think that the light socket is bad, maybe where the wire connects to the socket? I'll have to pull off the rubber grommet and check, maybe drop a little solder on it.

the T/S flasher has only two terminals-if you have a full 12 volts at one signal ,but only around 8 at the other,I'm thinking voltage is being dropped across a resistance-maybe caused as others have stated,by a loose or corroded point between the flasher output and the bulb socket,or on the ground side-I know,like all these pesky elec issues,easier to speculate than locate...but am interested to see what the culprit was. Brian

FOUND IT!!!!!

The wire was broken at the socket. I removed the rubber gourmet on the back side of the socket, gave the wire a little wiggle and the lamp brightened up. Hopefully I can make the repairs without any more damage.

there is nothing better than seeing proper voltage again where there wasn't,or in your case seeing that bulb brighten back up....a combo sense of relief and accomplishment that "you nailed it!!"...very nice!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow response on the boards I was out Elk hunting for a few days.

Ya it felt good to get it fixed I'll post a pic of the new bumper soon.

BTW my son got a Cow ELK on The first day of the hunt. We still have two tags and 7 days to hunt, Wish us luck!!!!!