Original GM Rallys

Here's a summary of what I've found out so far about the trim rings on our cars. The original trim rings like Aaron stated had the clips that grabbed the outside lip of the rim (4 clips if I'm not mistaken). They were somewhat problematic back then and had issues with sometimes coming off at random. This most likely happened due to the clips being bent during removal/installation and then would not do their job of gripping the rim when reinstalled. Also, whenever wheel weights were mounted on the outside of the rim, there was a chance that would be where one of the clips needed to clip on and so the weight was in the way.

Shortly after that (still during the 70's)G.M. introduced the pressure fit trim ring with the inner clips G.M. part #9796696 as a replacement for the originals but even the #9796696 trim rings have not been available from the G.M. Dealers since approx. 1990. The #9796696 design are the ones that are mostly being reproduced today by the aftermarket companies. The most obvious difference between NOS trim rings #9796696 and the aftermarket rings is the finish. The aftermarket ones, generally speaking, have a shinier chrome finish instead of the stainless steel finish of the originals. I've also seen the aftermarket rings which are imported from wherever and have a goldish glow to the chrome.

My NOS #9796696 trim rings which I recently purchased were still in the original G.M. boxes and cost me $350 for the set of 4 and they are perfect. I've seen them go for up to $600 a set but if you are not in a hurry for them, just wait and watch EBAY etc. .

Anyway, that's all I have to say about trim rings.

I feel like Rain Man. LOL

Please feel free to correct me if I have any of the info wrong.

Cheers,

Larry