PULLED MY ENGINE TODAY!!

71 MONTE 4 YA

Well I've finally got a day off so I thought why not pull the engine out of the Monte. It all went pretty good. I tried to pull it with the headers still attached no so I had to sit it back in and unbolt them. Will I do it again probably not. I did it outside and the rain came so I stop for awhile, then the rain stopped and I got back on it. If I had a garage and some real tools it wouldn't have been so bad. After I got the engine out the first thing I did was checked the numbers and sure enough they matched the VIN yay. I will be delivering the engine tomorrow to my friend in Olmsted Falls for the cam, trans shift kit, and converter work. I'm going to put my dress up stuff on at this time too. Here are some pictures:

2012-10-18132813.jpg2012-10-18132821.jpg

2012-10-18142901.jpg2012-10-18174057.jpg

2012-10-18174028.jpgTHE NUMBERS ARE 111525595 K02 26 CGC. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE LETTERS MEAN SO MAYBE SOMEONE CAN DECIPHER THEM FOR ME 2012-10-18195000.jpg

from what I have read that sounds like the motor car is Canadian. Built in St Catherines, Ontario. Manufactured February 26. Still working on the rest. Correct me if I'm wrong people.

OK the CGC part means 1971 manufactur 350, 2bbl 245hp that came with either a powerglide or th350.

Thanks Guys!!

Way to go! With the right tools and a garage it does make it easier. But you got er done. That is a good learning experience. Now if you remember where everything went when you dump it back in! lol
I think there was like four plugs and the starter wires. I think I can pull it off when it's time.

I delivered the engine today. I am still waiting on more pushrods to arrive any day now. I should have the engine back in a week or so. I will detail it while it's out. All of the gaskets are being replaced while he has it. My engine only has a little over 60k on it so this should be the refresh that it needs and should wake it up a little bit. I will keep you all posted. The tarp has been the Monte's blanket for a while now. There are two of them on her.

If you are replacing head gaskets you should really consider these. steel shim gaskets They were the style used on a lot of small blocks. A lot of gasket sets come with a thicker head gasket and it will lower your compression and have a adverse effect on cylinder quench. With the came you are running you need all the compression available.

If you are replacing head gaskets you should really consider these. steel shim gaskets They were the style used on a lot of small blocks. A lot of gasket sets come with a thicker head gasket and it will lower your compression and have a adverse effect on cylinder quench. With the came you are running you need all the compression available.
Would these affect pushrod length?

We are talking .020 you should not have an issue. By the way how do you know what length of push rods you need without having the new cam in? Push rod length is determined by the base circle of the cam, valve heights, lifter type, and rocker arm geometry. I normally order from Smith Brothers after the cam is in and my length is checked with adjustable checking push rods.

We are talking .020 you should not have an issue. By the way how do you know what length of push rods you need without having the new cam in? Push rod length is determined by the base circle of the cam, valve heights, lifter type, and rocker arm geometry. I normally order from Smith Brothers after the cam is in and my length is checked with adjustable checking push rods.
I'm getting the ones that's recommended for the cam. I bought everything that's associated with the specific cam. I thought I was doing it right.