Fab work

monte70car

A week after getting back from Fall Carlisle with another cowl induction hood we started cutting. Or first step was to build a jig for overall length of a Monte hood AMDreplacement002-1.jpg from the short blocks of wood to the cut edge of the hood is 8" on both sides which will be coming from the Monte nose. The center to the far block is 16" with the notches being to the turn back to the fenders to lay in. Now on the under side AMDreplacement001-1.jpg there will be a flat plate welded in and run out to the hood latch area on the Monte nose.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Jared this is hood number two the original one is on my car which will be at the eastern meet next year. As for producing them the jig will come in handy for what needs to be done if a third hood is built or even a fourth. The problem I'm running in is I need the Monte nose for any more to be made, since that is the only item that is needed. Any one have a spare Monte nose with about a foot of metal back on a bent hood? I did have the ideal of building the nose part but then I would have to do the whole under side

I got a nose coming from Bob up in Ohio should be here Thursday. Once it arrives it will be time to mate another Chevelle hood to a Monte nose. Went up to Home Depot this morning and brought two piece of sheet metal to fill the gap on the under side of the hood. Will probably have some welding done by Sunday and some more done Tuesday and Wednesday while I'm off from work. Bob thanks again for the Monte nose and I look forward to building you one down the road. And Jared if you have damaged hoods I could just tell you how much of the nose I need and we could do some producing of a hood GM never built.

Rodney it depends on what all I'm doing to the hood and what parts I have to buy. This current hood has a price tag of $1,500 which covers the inner and outer door, brackets for both doors wiring harness for the kick down switch. All the hoods we would do comes with all body work done top side and bottom side with the buyer to pick up and have his paint shop put the final coat of paint on for $1,200. I would not want to ship a ready to paint hood to a buyer and them have it get damage plus the pick up will save on the price.

Rodney it depends on what all I'm doing to the hood and what parts I have to buy. This current hood has a price tag of $1,500 which covers the inner and outer door, brackets for both doors wiring harness for the kick down switch. All the hoods we would do comes with all body work done top side and bottom side with the buyer to pick up and have his paint shop put the final coat of paint on for $1,200. I would not want to ship a ready to paint hood to a buyer and them have it get damage plus the pick up will save on the price.

So why a $300 difference between this hood and the next hood?

This hood I promise the buyer I would mock up the outer door which was not factor in the original price. After pricing everything to mock up the outer door I gave the buyer the option of the complete cowl induction kit vs just the outer door and he opted for the complete kit. I'm still mocking the outer in place but when he picks up the hood he also gets the rest of the kit.

So I got the nose from Bob in Thursday afternoon along with the cowl induction kit from Ausley's. Friday we drilled out the spot welds on the Monte nose AMDreplacement001-2.jpg the under side of the hood will be cleaned and primed had to fix one side where it got bent which was no big deal. Here is the nose laying on the Chevelle hood it hasn't been cut to the final size as of yet AMDreplacement002-2.jpg you see how it fits the blocks of wood for the head light extension. Most of the bracing for from the Monte nose will be cut out with only the area behind the hood latch staying in place and most of the metal down the side for a better bend AMDreplacement004-1.jpg. All of the cowl induction kit items AMDreplacement003-1.jpg

Can someone tell me why there is apparently enough of a market for companies to make the fiberclass Monte hoods some of the members have but not make steel ones like this? I would think there would be more people buying this type, I must be missing something?

Mg a lot of it has to deal with the price. A good firber glass hood probably cost $400- $600 then you add the freight. Being a steel hood done the same way you have all the dies that needs to be made a press to form it now your talking maybe $1000 just for that. I know there is a small market for the hoods and its just the matter of finding people who want one and who don't mine the wait. Right now with the storm moving in we have closed our little shop until the storm passes so there will be no work going on today or tomorrow. If I could get people to place an order for the hood I could see doing it on the side, the jig is going speed up where the cut goes and how much gets add on and how the under side will be finish. I know on my it was test fit after test fit to make sure it was long enough the width was right. The jig there is no need for a test fit as it was built off a stock Monte hood. I know a few people I have done work for has been surpise of what comes out of the little shop I know Jared saw my Monte in 08 with old paint job not sure if he liked it as much as some of the others did. I've also been thinking of doing glass ecthing on the as I have the needed tolls for that.

Thanks for the explanation Rob. Looks like you have found a good niche market cool.

Still wonder why the fiber glass hood they make for the Monte is not designed to look the same as the steel one you are making. Maybe they can't make those complex shapes out of fiber glass I guess. Your design looks so much more like something the factory would have done. IMO

MG here is a picture of a fiber glass hood 7072monte4inch.jpg on theirs the cowl starts in the center and their underside doesn't have the stock look 70monte4inchunderside.JPG The stock under side of what I build show027.jpg and where our cowl starts hood003-12.jpg the original cowl hood had the outer door which the fiber glass ones don't have hood009-1.jpg

the last picture is the first one we did, we learn a few things on that and this time we are going to improve some of the areas we didn't like on my. Time the hood is done you will still have the option to put the hood spear on it and it would not look out of place.

With the storm gone I was finally able to get back out to the workshop. hood003-1.jpg I took a wire wheel to the skin cleaned up most of the rust and the glue the factory used to hold the under side to the sheetmetal. Once it was all clean I hit the bare areas and some areas that had surface rust with a can of rust convertor which will seal the panel and stop the rust from going any further and can be use as a base for paint hood005-1.jpg