Fab work

monte70car

We are finally getting to the last few items to do before the filler worker can start. We did get the outer skin all welded up(no pictures of that) Got the under side part of the hood squared away and in place hood001-1.jpghood002-1.jpg And with the filler plate in place hood003-2.jpg there will be some body work done to this area as well.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

hey rob,

i was thinking about the process that you are going thru.

if i wanted a non functional cowl hood...

would it be easier to skin the back half of the monte hood[top sheet metal] and then just take the cowl portion and weld it to the monte inner portion.

in steed of doing all the structural work to the inner hood??

thoughts?

Bob to do a non-functioning cowl hood you would still need the bracing as the air comes in though the inner door. I will try and see if I have so detail pictures of the under side of the hood. We originally planed to cut the cowl part out and weld it on a Monte hood but then you have under side bracing which is different between the two hoods. Extending the nose made more sense, since the width and the end point at the windshield were the same on both hoods just a matter of where the hood latch was at.

Bob you have the inner door which can be seen in this picture 010.jpg that would need the mounting points. Here is a picture showing where the showing how the inner door feeds air into the air cleaner hood001-11.jpg you would still need the under hood bracing and since the reg dome hood and the functional cowl hood runs the same price cowl induction seen to be worth the extra mile to me. I'm open to try anything for someone but the turn around time would probably be longer. Here is a picture of what your thinking that Leo's son did Leo%20request%20for%20funds%20007-500x50 under side of Leo's Leo%20request%20for%20funds%20014-500x50

rob i was thinking about just removing the upper skin on the monte hood from the point u cut the nose so that the framing would be original and then do the same on the cowl hood.

removing the skins at the spot welds on the sides and cutting the front section to match the nose of the monte sheetmetal.

i personally dont want or need the cowl induction... i just want the appearance.i currently have a glass hood with the look im after.but its glass.when i take it on the highway it flaps like its paper.lol.

i liked my steel hood.

we are currently finishing another hood minus the functional under skeleton , still has the flapper door but we did not add the air cleaner seal area , lots of hard work no matter what approach you take , i will post some pictures of my 72 someday with the 71 Torino hood scoop 1 of 1 , not my idea i have to give credit to a friend who originally had it on his car , we painted it a couple years ago and put it on my 72 cool stuff , looks really mean , see if i can get a picture up here

Leo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well the hood is in the final stages. Three months ago we started out with this 002.jpg As of right now it has one coat of primer on it which has been sanded with 220girt and 400girt to get raid of some bad areas and then another coat and it's ready for pick up hood002-6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is the final coat of primer went on today in this crazy weather 50° today primed001_zps49b45469.jpg The outer door or what some call the flapper door also got primed so its all one color. The next stop for this hood is louisiana on a red Monte red and grey sounds like a good color combo to me

• 1 month later...

The last bite of primer went down on the hood this afternoon got the outer door bolt in place need to bolt the vacuum pod in and it will be ready to leave our little work shop.hood003-1_zps06750155.jpg and it will look much better in a gloss color then a flat grey it currently is.