Excellent Big Block headers

Ian

I went with the Patriot headers that Steve (Monteman71) suggested and all I can say it WOW they fit great. I have never had a set of headers go in as easy as these. Patriot Headers at Summit Steve had said I might have to dimple the drivers side by the steering, well they fit like a glove. I need to rearrange my starter wiring a little, but other than that they fit great. I have to have a new piece added to the exhaust to go from them to the front pipes this weekend and they are done.

Ian

Regular 2" Hooker Comps go real easy to. The only issues are that if you had an original small block car you have to relocate the brake proportioner, grind off the back corner of your block(MKVI), and a very slight dimple for steering shaft clearance. If you do it right once they are coated they will look like they came that way. I wish someone would develope and market a set of big block heads that are MC specific. Everything is patterned after the Chevelle. Well that's my two cents.

Hey Ian,

I didn't dimple mine either but the one pipe is real close to the steering rod (not a problem though).

If your unable to get the car to the muffler shop for the mid pipe, this is what I did....... I took a wire hanger, bent it to shape and brought it to the muffler shop and they bent the pipe for me (leaving it long on both ends so I could trim it to fit). One side was done first shot and the other took one more trip for a little more bend. I then set up the system and spot welded the pipes to the collector. I took the system down and welded it all around and then bolted it all back into the car.

See my web page http://www.monteman.com/New%20Project%2020037.html but I think you've already seen it laugh

Steve

Yeah I have see that page a few times smile I even printed out the picture before I ordered them to see where on my car they would sit smile

Also I shot you a PM, but were you able to use the bracket that bolts to the head for the back of the A/C?

Ian

I put the Patriot headers on my Monte too. I recall having a bit of a problem with the wiring for the starter being real close to the header and I had to reroute it. I had to modify those headers due to the aluminum heads on my GM crate ZZ454 (bolt heads have a very high profile. That was the only modification I had to make.

With my 502 ci motor I tried to install hooker super comp. ceramic coated headers, 2" primary and 3 1/2" collector.

No way was it going to clear my drivers side A-arm, the arm would have to be cut quite a bit to clear the tube.

I settled on hooker competition headers, still had to grind the mounting flange to clear my head bolts.

I noticed later that this header made contact in the same spot with my A-arm but it is minor and put a very small dimple in it.

I see now hooker has a stainless version of the comp. header, too late for me.

hok-2455-2hkr_w.jpg

I have never liked Hooker headers because on occasions they will scrape the ground around the collectors. This time around I wanted to use block hugger headers, but I am not having any luck finding a manufacturer who makes them for big block 70-72 Mc's, you guys have any ideas? Or is the patriot header the next best thing to block huggers in terms of ground clearance?

Thanks for your help guys.

David

I haven't had any problem with mine dragging, have the same ones as Bill, fit nice, had to move the prop valve, is a little tight around the steering , lift the engine to get them in and no problems

My above post was for David on shorty headers.

My headers only scraped when I had it slammed, I`ve since raised it, still a little low and they never scrape.

I know it's expensive, but a set of custom headers fit to your application on the car is the only real way to go for a perfect fit and you get to choose the primary tube diameter. Monte's are unique in their suspension, steering, and braking placement and that makes things difficult.