SB to BB

pocobill7t1

I am thinking of going from a small block to a big block in my 71,does anyone have a list of what i would have to do,the sb i have runs great and is a horse,but i am tired of people pulling up at lights and asking "is that a big block" I feelbad and say no only a small block and they say oh.

I guess size does matter...thx Bill

they say OH! lol switching to a big block is pretty easy...

you will need a big block pullys & brackets for the alternator,power steering and a/c. if your not gonna run a/c then you can keep the springs up front! you can use the same tranny, hopefuly its in good condition! I belive you can use the same motor mounts also but dont quote me on that! New fuel pump! im sure others will chime in with things ive forgot but its a fairly simple thing to do

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have a question about the oil pan. so I have a 1970 going from a 350 too a 1970 LS5 bb. so in a 1970 bb monte carlo what side is the dip stick on? my dads 71 350 has it on the drivers side my 454 has it on the pass side but its out of a 70 impala so when I order my new pan do I keep it the same as the engine or do I go with where his is or did bb montes have the dipstick on the pass side anyway?

Both my 402 and the 454 for our El Camino is on the passenger side which is correct for big blocks. Small blocks is on the drivers side unless some one changed the oil pan( I believe I saw a small block pan with the dip stick on the passenger side). The original big block 348(W motor) had the dip stick on the drivers side when the 409(W motor) came out in the 60's the dip stick was in the passenger side of the pan.

• 3 weeks later...