Performance 402

Chevyss

Build for torque. At the end of the day you are still at least 50 inches shy of most big blocks. They do make stroker pistons for them, 4" stoke will get you around 440 inches.

When I rebuilt my 402, I entertained the notion of gaining more horsepower. After some research I discovered the 402 does not provide many easy/inexpensive options. Ended up with basically installing a mild cam, decked block & lower rear end gears for modest power gain. I would suggest pursuing a 454 that is much easier to power up.

Doug

Royce I have a old Super Chevy which has three builds for a 396(402) motor to make anywhere from 500hp to 575hp. It was in the June 2001 edition titled mean little rodent part 3. If you can't find it online let me know and I can scan the information in the computer and post or post the information on the form.

Sam, it's a 1972 402. Once I get the car and determine just how well it runs then I'll work on a build. Supposedly there has been some work done to it and there are lots of documents to what has been done. My only change will be the 4.11 gears. Little steep for cruising. Thanks all

so it's a 8.5 comp, for that cubic inch, I like stock sized valves, a set of 049 heads shaved down some for a little compression, and a cam in the 220-230 duration (max) @.050, a set of 1 3/4" tube headers, air gap intake and a 750 cfm carb (max) would be my combo of choice, if you want anymore than that...put a 454 in it

I agree with Sam.

If you look at what GM did to make the 396 a real contender with the L-78 - it made its power in the upper rpm band with high compression (11:1), bigger heads, and a solid cam. That's not the best recipe for a heavy Monte. 454s are plentiful and will give you more streetable bang for the buck.