What is TH400 ambient operating temperature?

Hey all,

Going to add a Tranny Oil Temp gauge in near future.

The location I selected for temp sensor is where you would measure the tranny oil pressure. This location is a factory theaded hole with a plug sealing off oil from escaping.

I had originally thought of drilling a hole in tranny oil pan, welding in a bung and measuring the oil temp from there. But utilizing a existing hole in tranny made more sense with less work involved.

The location is smaller plug in line & forward of orange cap:

TRANNYPASSENGERLOOK.jpg

I guess my question is:

Would this location be appropriate?

(The gauge will measure up to 260 degrees. If the normal operating temp exceeds this then the gauge is essentially useless at current maximum temperature reading.

It would seem measuring the temp at or near its highest normal operating temp makes most sense and the location I selected would be representative of the operating temp.

If possible, would like confirmation of what would be considered normal tanny oil operating temperature. 150/220 range would be optimal.

Thanks in advance for your replies and All have a GREAT day....

Doug

Yeah I considered that Sam. If I measured from tranny pan, I wouldn't think the operating temp would be best represented from there. Not sure if fluid is cooled prior to re entering pan and if so, how efficient is the cooling?

Can't even say at what location I am considering measuring from is optimal!

Since I had spent the $Bucks$ for this High End gauge (equipped with stepper motor), want to get the best functionality from it.

Originally, was just looking for a 3rd gauge to fill out my 3 pod housing and at that point of purchase hadn't given much thought or consideration for location of sensor. It has since become more important for me to at least find a good sensor reading location that if tranny decided to go South, the temp reading would indicate a problem was immenent if not taken care of.

Maybe next week end I can use a thermal gun where fluid enters into radiator and see if I can't get a operating temp from it. Not sure if it would be representative, but if measured going in and again going out, it might indicate something useful to me.

Probably shoulda picked fuel pressure for that 3rd gauge confused

Doug

I think I would go into the pan. The pressure port is a dead spot for flow but has lots of pressure that can be hard on the gauge. The pan location will give you the temp of the fluid that is being pulled into the trans pump via the filter that is in the bottom of the pan.

Trans temp varies. Converter stall affects it a lot. My pickup pulling my trailer runs around 200.

I would think that the outlet where the cooler line goes would be a good spot if you need flow of hot fluid. The return line would be cooler of course. The best spot for average is in the pan where the fluid pools. There are probably higher temp areas of the trans, where the oil gets very hot as it's used as a coolant, or in the converter where it is absorbing energy, but you don't want to know about those...you want to know the temp of the oil reservoir.

The same would probably apply for oil temp: you don't want to know how hot your rocker arms are, or the bottoms of your piston domes, as there are always hot spots that get bathed with oil as a coolant. (Another example is valve springs.. no friction there to require oil, but they get very hot so oil is poured over them to carry away the heat). You just want to make sure your supply of cool oil is within limits and that supply is in the pan.

There's my theory.

Just an update. I had the bung braze welded into the tranny fluid pan. Guaranteed not to leak or crack.

Now I can proceed so as to have my 3 gauge pod gauges working in time for the WM.

Doug