SHOULD I MOVE UP?

VETTEWITHLEGS

I HAVE A 1971 MONTE BASE 350/ 350 TURBO, SLIGHT MODS. 84K ORIGINAL WITH 2K ON THROUGH AND THROUGH REBUILD. SHOULD I CHANGE TO A 468 W/ 540-540 CAM AND TURBO 400?? WHICH WAY BRINGS MORE VALUE? I PLAN TO KEEP THE CARFOR AT LEAST 2 GENERATIONS!! WAS GOING TO PUT THE 468 IN A 72 CAMARO SS BUT IT'S A FACTORY 350/ 4-SPEED SS. AND A UNIBODY. THE MONTE IS A FULL FRAME (SWEET) AND WILL HANDLE THE GROUND POUNDER BETTER.

ALSO, HOW MANY SUSPENSION MODS WILL BE REQUIRED? DEFINATELY OPEN TO INPUT.

JIM

Jim - every time I up the engine size (or power), I never regret it! The big block looks totally at home in the Monte and is pretty easy to work on, even with AC. It's actually a better fit than in a Chevelle, as the front cross member is 4 inches ahead of where it is in the Velle, so you have more room for a 6 qt pan and more header space.

Without going into a lot of detail, you should change big block springs. Of course you will need all the bb brackets and a big block fan shroud. The Turbo 400 should fit fine on the cross member but you will have to use a different factory mounting point. If you could find a bb drive shaft, you won't have to mess with your current shaft. You may want to get the correct electric kick down switch for the 400 that attaches to the gas pedal. Correct tranny lines may be needed, also.

What else am I forgetting? Oh, you may want to run a bigger fuel line (from 5/16 to 3/8) depending on the power level.

Hope this helps. Lots of the parts can be found right here on the forum.

Another option would be to run the 468 with the Turbo 350 until that blows up, then do the 400. If you are running street tires and the turbo 350 is built, it may last quite a while!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input, guys!

Can you read me, now, LEGHOME???? My eyes are 54.66!

I have the 71 Monte in the body shop now and will more than likely do the swap before final paint. Just in case! One concern I had was the proverbial "Money Pit" ! (and here I thought that only applied to the Vette!) I gave $8,000 for the Monte, the new paint will run about $4,500, and I got the 468 and 400 turbo for $4,500. The swap puts me at the "point of no return"! Big Boy's Toys....don't ya love em??

If anyone has a line on the springs, driveshaft, etc. please let me know.

jim

My 2 cents FWIW.

What do you want to do with the car?

Drive it around on a regular basis in the summer?

Not to diss the BB but 8 or LESS MPG at these pump prices will EAT a lot of fuel that you could use for other MODS!!!

It you had a BB in it now and were freshening it up...ok

I thought of changing mine (350/350 combo) but realized ALL the expense of the SWAP. I really don't see it being worth a pile more (but that is from where I live maybe different round there?)

If it will be a daily driven or even a few long distance trips the gas mileage and driveability maybe a concern if you do the swap?

Some guys here have been dumping there BB in there STREET RODS for (gulp) 6 cyl builds to save some coin....and make it more streetable and cruise friendly.

There are some great mods for BB cars too and believe me they sound wicked!!! But there is always a trade off.

But if your building it for YOU then that is the question you have to answer...

I love a BB but just don't have the budget to justify it.

Scott