Air Conditioning question

My 70 Monte sat in the Bay Area for 11 years in my parents drive way. When the car was a daily driver 11 years ago the A/C worked perfect. Now, the compressor spins but the system has no cold air at all. I was wondering if you all could give me advice on where to start? I have heard that the compressor gasket can go bad when he system is not used for long periods of time. Is that where I should start?

Brian

Probably a leak in the system somewhere. Best place to start would be to discharge or reclaim any freon left in the system then do a vacuum test to see if it holds vacuum. If not there's definetly a leak. If that's the case the system needs to be charged up and a special dye added to help detect location of the leak. Hope its an easy fix for you like maybe just an O ring & not a major component.

If sat for a long period of time without operating A/C, the compressor seals do dry up and can loose Freon.

Might consider buying a recharge kit (relatively inexpensive), recharge the system and see how it goes from there. Might be as simple as the Schrader valve leaking.

If not familiar with the A/C operation and can't determine any leak, might consider taking to Qualified A/C Shop and have them find leak (if there is one). They should be able to provide you with problem and also quote for repair. More expensive way to go, but in the long run you will have it repaired and a warranty if any further problems with the work they did.

Doug

If you pick up recharge kit they are available as what they call a first shot. This is a can of freon with compressor lube and conditioner mixed specifically for situations like yours. It may help and for $15 its worth a shot.

My local guy charges to evacuate the system, but he pays me for whatever Freon he gets out. Sometimes it comes out even. Then he puts a vacuum on the system to check for leaks. If leaks are found, it's easy enough to open the system and change the seal or whatever. One more vacuum check, then he puts my Freon back in and tops it off.

The nice thing is that once he has evacuated the system, if leaks are found I can take it home and do the repairs myself if I want, then take it back for refill at my leisure...or when budget allows.

But yea...you don't want to mix R12 Freon with other types. The R12 was factory for our cars and works best, but it was outlawed years ago for environmental reasons. A certified AC guy can still get it, but us consumers can't. The R12 is pretty expensive, so it's worth having your shop collect it instead of letting it escape into the air in your driveway.