Fire extinguisher mounting ( interior)

dbreese

Need to mount my fire extinguisher inside the car. It is in the trunk now but does me know good should something happen at the track or on the street. Looking for ideas as to how to mount it where it would be in arms reach. No cage to mount it to. Bucket seat factory car. I really hate to drill into the sheet metal ( trans tunnel) to mount a bracket.

Thought about fabbing a mount out of 3/16” flat stock and mounting it to the front two seat bolt mount studs but I don’t think they are long enough.

Ideas and pic’s would be great.

Thanks in advance.

David

At one time I was thinking of this setup sts-9302_ml.jpg mount the bottle in the trunk and just pull a cable to put out a fire either inside the car or under the hood. Stroud Safety 9302 - Stroud Safety Fire Suppression Systems relates for $362

The remote system is pretty nice; it can be a scary thing to open the hood when things are ablaze...kind of like lifting the lid off a boiling pot on the stove and tilting the lid the wrong way. Of course, lifting the hood adds air to the fire, so it's worse.

The problem with an engine fire is it starts on stuff that is way hot. You can put out the flames but they come right back until the manifolds or whatever cools down. They say don't use water on an oil fire, but it sure works better at cooling stuff off than powder. Either way, something is better than nothing.

I wonder if there is room between the seat and the door for an extinguisher...it wouldn't be so visible, and still easy to get to. With the door closed it might be out of sight.

The size of mine fits between the driver door and the bucket out of sight like Mark said,it sits on the mount quite well with out bolting it to the floor. No plans of bolting it.

Terry

Another thing to consider is the type of chemical used. Me and Leo were discussin this. What is the safest to use, I understand Dry Chemical, correct?

I thought it would be a good idea to "throw" one in my car, that's exactly all Ive done so far. Sometimes its rolling around on the front passenger floor, sometimes its bouncing around the floor in the backseat area lol

Ideally Im thinking its best to have one inside the car, one under the hood somewhere & even one in the trunk. Im gonna make it one of my projects this winter for sure.

Don't want none of this devil

I just did a bit of research on that Halon stuff...it sounds great. It even suppresses fire with a cooling effect as water does.

Here's some interesting info:

http://www.h3rcleanagents.com/support_faq_2.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. Found a bolt in mount. It is a universal kit from OG Racing made by Brey and Krause http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/5188/image/1931/

This is a trick deal and could go in just about any vehicle. Easy install and a very quality piece. All stainless steel. I was able to bolt it in using the existing seat mount bolts (drivers side) from the floor. The kit is nearly infinitely adjustable and does not interfere with seat adjustment. It will put the extinguisher to where I can reach with ease. Hope I never need it but ya never know

Waiting for the Halguard extinguisher and drake quick release mount. I'll post pic's when complete

David