reviving my 71 after two years of storage

G71

life got in the way and so my 71 350 sat for two years. tomorrow i plan to dust her off and get her back on her feet.

any advice?

i have a fresh battery and a can of either.

the thing that worries me most is there was hardly any gas in the tank and i am not sure how much if any gas stabilizer. do you think the tank, carb, and fuel lines will have any issues?

thanks

Glad you are reviving the ole girl! For starters....DON'T use the starting fluid. Too many bad things come from it. Spray some WD-40 in the carb instead. Adding a fresh 5 gallon of fuel would be next on my list. Make sure no mice have chewed any wiring. They love the plastic insulation! And fire 'er up!

Only time will tell about any rust buildup in the fuel system. I would change the fuel filter after you run it awhile and see how much crud is on it. Hopefully you'll be ok.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

One good thing with old cars, they always seem to come back to life after a long nap!

I usually put 5 gallons of fresh fuel,maybe an oil change, and that's about it. 2 years isn't very long at all

5 gallons of fresh gas and 3 attempts with some starter fluid (done before i saw your recommendation against it) and it finally fired up. after about 5 good minutes at idle i tried to kick it down but the RPM would not drop and it was making hissing noises, i cut the motor but before it stopped it made some sounds like it was pissed off with a bit of after-run. i used carb cleaner and sprayed all the linkages and from that point on it ran much better.

i am still learning the basics of these old 350 setups, any idea about the irregularities mentioned?

she needs a lot of basic work, i will start a separate topic on each issue in the forums so please bear with me.

BTW 7tone football and sam (small picture).......

i love the raised stance of your cars, after all the basics are addressed the first item on my list is to change the springs and upgrade the wheels to acheive the same look. i looked into this way back when i got the car but never had a chance to follow through. what are your spring specifications and tire combos

thanks for all the help

The hissing noise is a vacuum leak. That is why it won't idle down. Check all your vacuum hoses for splitting or cracking. You may also have the gasket under the carb that is cracked. And worst case scenario would be leaking where the throttle plate shaft goes through the carb. You'll need to check those out so it will idle correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can not visually find the leak you can start the car and while its idling spray the vac lines and gasket areas with some carb cleaner and when you get to a leak the idle will jump up. That should narrow it down for you. Just go easy on the spraying.