under carpet/sound deadening material?

Super Brian

I used Thermo Tech (cool-it) sound deadening and heat barrier. It's just like Dynamat only much cheaper. You just have to figure out what thickness you want just like all the other leading brands. I purchased mine from Jegs a few years ago but they still carry it and they have free shipping right now.

Mike

Went with the ACC Carpet and attached Mass Backing. They Have a

%20 off September sale. It cost me less with the backing and shipping all together than with the carpet ALONE.

Great Deal and I couldn't have done it without you.

Thanks a lot.

Glad you got it figured out and at a great deal. Fwiw, my car was unbearable before the dynamat especially since the mufflers turn down beneath the cabin. dynamat made a huge difference in making the vehicle tolerable to drive. Of course, once the dumps open up, all bets are off. shocked

All this talk about carpet and pads made me think. Don't forget to verify your carburetor still will open all the way or W.O.T. Too much or anything under the pedal could cause loss of W.O.T. This is something I don't think I have done after replacing my carpet.

Bruce

Don't forget the sound deadener. From the factory there was the rug, insulation (mass backing) & sound deadener. Rubber/Tar like compound that came in custom cut pieces to fit all the sections of interior floor. Complete kit runs around $65 bucks or so and is made by ACC & REM.

Supposedly, ACC is more expensive. Gentleman that owned ACC passed on and new owners jacked up prices and dropped all dealers that weren't doing $20K in sales with them. All the restorers I spoke to used REM with good success ..... so thats who I chose.

I just ordered an REM set from Summit last week which we will be installing shortly.

Dan

Here's a quote from a website....

"The difference between the mass back upgrade and the standard poly backed carpet is the addition of sound deadening backing material called "mass backing". Mass backing material, which is approximately 40 mil thick, is heat bonded to the back of the standard poly backed carpet. It's purpose is for additional sound deadening and heat shield. It also makes the carpet's overall weight heavier due to the addition of the backing material. It is an upgrade the we highly recommend on any molded carpet and is our best selling upgrade. It also aids in carpet installation."

Here's what I did 2 winters ago when I redid my green small block. Went to Menards and bought a scrap piece of their best carpet padding for $3. Put it in from the front of the car to up the back of the rear seat to below the package tray. It works amazing. I used the money I saved for the rest of the project. I am sure the aftermarket stuff is obviously better, but the exhaust sound inside the car is much better and the stereo sounds so much better now.