Replacing rear shocks & springs

jja

I am hoping to replace the OE springs and shocks on the rear of my 70 MC. I want to have a lower profile in the rear, maybe 2 inches lower. Anyone know what the height of the original springs is? To achieve the desired look, is it as simple as finding and installing springs that are 2 inches shorter? Will I need to find shocks that are any different that what I would have installed were I not to have shortened the springs. I thought I read somewhere that shocks do not set the height, they just control the ride. Any thoughts including brands would be appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...

I removed the oe springs from mine and installed cargo coils, it lifted the back up about an inch and a half or so. You will need lowering springs to lower the back end. the rear shocks should still be the same but you may want to check the mfg. of the springs to be sure. You cant really cut the rear springs because of the way they are designed. Your right shocks do not control the height unless there coilovers or air shocks.

I just replaced the rear coils and shocks two weeks ago on my 70. I used Moog springs and Monroe shocks. It has a stock look. I will post pictures if you need them.

I believe Hotchkis only has 1" lowering springs, but Global West I believe offers their springs in 1 or 2" drop. If you want that much drop you can also use stock height springs and use 2" drop spindle. This is only of benefit if you want to swap spindles for a different brake set-up.

Dan

Drop spindles will work on front but there are no spindles on the rear to drop. You will have to get a set of lowering springs or find a set of springs that are shorter then the originals with a load on them, this is dependent on the load rate of the spring itself. The actual spring may be the same size as what you have now or even longer but when the weight of the car is on it it wil sit lower. I'm sure there are a few people here that can explains it better then me so I'll leave that to them. I'll kep monitoring this post as well as I plan on dropping my 72 by 2" as welll