Front sway bar bolts stripped.

We installed all new tublar front suspension, quick ratio steering box, all steering and sway bar on my son's monte some time ago. He drove is for a few weeks before we started having issues with the trans. When we pulled the motor and trans I noticed a couple bolts holding the sway bar to the car were coming loose.

It looks like the frame is stripped. I pulled the bolts out and they look fine. I am looking for options to fix this issue. There doesn't appear to be any access spots in the frame to put nuts on the bolts. Anyone have to solve this issue already?

David

I had to fix one. I just used a MIG welder to run a bead around the edge of the hole and then drilled and tapped it.

If you don't have access to a welder, you can use a 3/8" steel plate that is long enough to cover both holes. Drill and tap the 2 holes to match the holes in the frame. Remove the front bumper and slide the plate into the frame. Drill both of the frame holes large enough that the bolts will slip through, position the plate over the holes, and mount the bar.

Dan

Re-tap stripped hole to next larger size & drill out bracket holes to match.

I was going to suggest the same thing. I can't think of any issues this wouls create.

Rob

I have any easier solution. There is access on the frame rail in front of the sway bar mount on both sides. All you have to do is add a washer and nut on inside of frame rail at sway bar mount hole. You cannot get a open end wrench at the right angle to hold a nut inside frame.

Sooooo I grabbed a cheap wrench I had around in the correct size. I grinded one side of the mid section of wrench almost halfway. This made wrench thin enough in order to be able to achieve the angle to get to the sway bar mount hole. Then I used masking tape to hold a nut in the 12 point section with a hole for access to threads. Threaded bolt through the bottom of frame until visible, dropped a washer on it, then held the nut properly over head of bolt and tightened from below. Worked like a charm without too much effort.

Hope it helps.

Dan

I have any easier solution. There is access on the frame rail in front of the sway bar mount on both sides. All you have to do is add a washer and nut on inside of frame rail at sway bar mount hole. You cannot get a open end wrench at the right angle to hold a nut inside frame.

Sooooo I grabbed a cheap wrench I had around in the correct size. I grinded one side of the mid section of wrench almost halfway. This made wrench thin enough in order to be able to achieve the angle to get to the sway bar mount hole. Then I used masking tape to hold a nut in the 12 point section with a hole for access to threads. Threaded bolt through the bottom of frame until visible, dropped a washer on it, then held the nut properly over head of bolt and tightened from below. Worked like a charm without too much effort.

Hope it helps.

Dan

Debris accumulates in that area of the frame and rots the metal which thins the metal reducing the strength of the treads. Re-taping may not help as there could be insufficient metal left to build strong threads. I had the same issue on at least one of the holes when I replaced my sway bar. As per Dan, I stuffed a washer and a lock nut on it. I forget exactly how I held it in place, did not have to modify a tool, I may have been able to stick a screwdriver blade in there or some other way to prevent the nut from turning until I could tighten it down. As stated by Dan, worked like a charm.

Good luck.