Dash - With aftermarket gauges

NewTimer

I know I seen that aluminum dash insert but are their any other options that anyone has used that maintained AC vents in the car? I am hoping to just find a replacement for the woodgrain insert and reuse pre existing holes for head lamp switch and seat belt warning lamp(not that import).

Hey Arthur, what if you fabricated one from Aluminum yourself cutting it to the shape you want to keep the A/C vents? You could leave it aluminum or paint it black or colour of your choice. Round off the edges nicely of course.

Hey Arthur, what if you fabricated one from Aluminum yourself cutting it to the shape you want to keep the A/C vents? You could leave it aluminum or paint it black or colour of your choice. Round off the edges nicely of course.

That is sorta like what I did. Couldn't get quite as much roll as the original dash has so I needed to build up behind it and added the angled bezels underneath the gauges. And I didn't keep the A/C vents. I had it powder coated also.

Originally Posted By: LostnFound

That is sorta like what I did. Couldn't get quite as much roll as the original dash has so I needed to build up behind it and added the angled bezels underneath the gauges. And I didn't keep the A/C vents. I had it powder coated also.

Ya...sure, sure...no pics, didn't happen! kicking

It's 24 gauge. I think if I would have gone a bit lighter it would have been easier to bend. I mocked it up with a piece of cardboard and cut it out with a jigsaw. Spent a lot of time filing and sanding the edges and all the holes to get everything to fit. I used LED's for the turn signals, high beam indicator and brake warning light. I even added a light beside the temp gauge to come on when the electric fans kicks on.

lol yeah I know I am no metal shaper. Maybe if I had a welder I would attempt it but I'm better at cutting holes.

Andreas- that's real close to what I will be doing I was thinking of putting my single din where all your switches are and replacing factory switches with a Vintage air black anodized contol but it does look good!

Here's what Jeff (Judge) did. Used the existing dash insert and redid it to look like carbon fiber. Also put aftermarket guages in.

IMG_1886.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2857.JPG

What about the dimmer on the factory head lamp switch? Has anyone been able to re use it with aftermarket gauges? I know autometer has their own dimmer switch but if I could re use the factory switch that would be great!

What about the dimmer on the factory head lamp switch? Has anyone been able to re use it with aftermarket gauges? I know autometer has their own dimmer switch but if I could re use the factory switch that would be great!

The dimmer switch works great with my Autometer gauges. you might have trouble if you ever use LED light bulbs...

• 2 months later...