Ash Tray Removal

OhMonte

My wife got me a plug n chug cup holder that slides into my ash tray slot. Pretty cool.

How the heck do I remove the entire ash tray without cracking or breaking something trying to get the entire assembly out? I popped it out to a point, but the entire thing has to be unhooked/removed for this gizmo to be inserted.

Any tips?

Thanks!

The metal tray insert will just lift up and pull out the front. The plastic holder that pulls down has 2 screws at the top, in the front, and 2 more in the rear, on the bottom.

Dan

Buy the way Joe. Nice Monte.

Thanks!

I'm hoping to get out in the garage today to work on it. I do, however, have a ton of yard work to get to today.

I'll post pics once I get it installed. It's a nice piece. Only holds cans or small cups, the holders don't accommodate anything larger.

By the way, my brother has one of these consoles (link below) in his 55 Bel Air wagon. For anyone with a bench seat, they are very nice. I saw them at Fall Carlisle and they are very well constructed. And they strap around the underside of the seat, out if sight. The link below has all of the colors you can order.

http://www.cupholdersplus.com/product/chevelle-center-console-cup-holder/BC-Chevelle.html

About the plug and chug:

My wife (at my "suggestion") bought me a plug and chug for non-SS model last Christmas. I suppose there is some difference in the ash tray in SS vs non-SS ashtrays. Mine is non-SS.

Based on the simple removal of the metal ash tray portion, and insertion of the cup holder, you would think something else needs to be removed, as the part that you insert hits against the back of the empty ash tray. This makes the exposed cup holder part stick out too far.

So, after trying to remove the entire ashtray assembly, I knew then that that wasn't part of the simple "plug and chug" motif.

I reassembled the ash tray (less the metal insert) and tried to figure things out. It's too old to return to the place she ordered it from, plus there is a slight scuff on it.

I think I need a wider and shorter insertion portion to fit tightly inside of the ash tray. (Maybe that is the SS ashtray dimention.). I may have to shorten the insertion part and maybe put a couple pieces of Velcro-loc like they use on my ezpass mount. That will secure it and you won't see the part attached to the ashtray once its closed.

Like I said, if I could return it for a better fitting unit, I would. It would probably fit much tighter. But I think you'd have to secure it in the ashtray regardless because it you pull out fast, it might slide out and spill your beverage.

So far I give it a "C" but might upgrade that once I modify it. I'll keep pluggin' on this so I can keep chuggin'!

null_zpse1b3408d.jpg

null_zps2c29ab74.jpg

null_zps39c9210e.jpg

null_zps8f6f2775.jpg

I think you have the wrong model

when they refer to a SS or non SS they are talking about Chevelle's, all Monte's have the SS dash, the non SS dash is in Malibu's that have the "sweep" style dash

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to return it. The outlet that she bought it from sells only Monte parts so they should fix their website. If they don't take it back, I'll ebay it for Chevelle owners.

• 2 months later...
I think you have the wrong model

when they refer to a SS or non SS they are talking about Chevelle's, all Monte's have the SS dash, the non SS dash is in Malibu's that have the "sweep" style dash

Sam thanks for this info. I contacted the place my wife bought it from and explained this just as you stated. They took the old one back and had a correct replacement drop shipped within a few days. It only cost me a few bucks to ship it. Considering how long it sat on my shelf in my garage while my Monte was being completed (at least over a year from when my wife bought it as a gift) I'm pleased that the company stood by their error.

The new one is correct for SS dash and fits in the ashtray nice and snug.

As a side note- the plug n chug only fits cans or the equivalent size cup. No big gulps or Weekender-size coffee mugs.

I'll try to post a pick next time I use it.